LCD vs. CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

algu7344

In Runtime
LCD vs. CRT
Which is better?

We have all been there, at a crossroads, determining whether you want a house instead of an apartment, or a maybe a mini-van instead of a sports car, but what about monitors? Do you prefer the stylish LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), or maybe the beautiful display of the CRT (Cathode-Ray tube)?. In this article, I hope to help you make a better choice for your specific needs and wants.

As with everything in this world, there is always positives and negatives of every choice we make. You may not seem to care what monitor you have, as long as it works right? Wrongo. If your a gamer, you may have a certain preference over somebody who just checks their e-mail every once in a while, and talks on MSN Instant Messenger. What your decision is, should be based on what your going to use your computer for. Let the fun begin!.....
CRT
THE GOOD

0 Cheap- Most CRT monitors will only run you 50-100 bucks for a good one. This includes many different styles, screen sizes ( Yes, you can get a 19 inch CRT monitor for this price if you look around good enough.) and colors. Also, you can get flat-screen and rounded displays as well.

0 Better Color- Most of the time, you can not beat the sheer clarity of CRT monitor's display. If you compare the LCD and the CRT displays, MOST of the time you can see that CRT's monitors will give you a better picture.

0 Better Viewing- CRT monitors have the edge over LCD monitors because, with LCD monitors, the picture is distorted greatly when viewed at an angle (Older LCD monitors have this probelm only, newer ones do not) CRT's have a tube which paints the image over the screen, so it is more clear and uniform at every angle, unlike LCD's which use cells to display, which can be easily distorted when not looking head on with the monitor.

THE BAD

0 Weight- CRT monitors weigh alot, period. They easily exceed 25 pounds most of the time, and if your a weakling, lugging this around when you want to dust may not be a good idea.

0 Actual size displayed- CRT monitors really cheap out when you set the display. They have boundries around the edge, They are unavoidable, and when you try to get rid of it and stretch it, you will not see the good half of the start button. Example, if you buy a 17 inch monitor, you will only see slightly over 16 inches of display.

0 Power Usage- CRT monitors cost much more than LCD's when it comes to your electric bill. The amount of energy needed to power the tube is enormous.

0 Size- CRT monitors take up alot of space. In fact, more than half the space a LCD monitor does. So if your limited on desk space, LCD may be the way to go.

0 Refresh Rates- Refresh rates are basically an update of what your looking at. Very important during games. CRT monitors sometimes have a very annoying flicker, which is really the refresh. Graphics cards ( Will be discussed later) will allow you to increase the refresh rate, which will normally solve this problem.

LCD
THE GOOD

0 Flexibility- LCD monitors are very flexible. You can adjust the angle very easily upward, downward, and side to side. LCD's can even be put up on the wall attached to an arm, where you can rotate to your liking.

0 Image brightness- In high level lighting situations, LCD monitors win hands down. The bold colors will show very will in this environment. CRT monitors will appear dull and distorted in high lighting situations.

0 Thin Screen- Most LCD monitors screens are only about 1 1/2 inch thick. Some are even less than an inch thick (These have seperate power supplies often on an adapter you place somewhere else).

THE BAD

0 Cost- LCD monitors cost alot. Most of the time 3 times as much as the same sized CRT monitor. This can be anywhere from $175-700. If you look around right, you may be able to see something like a 15 inch LCD for less than $175.

0 Resolution- LCD monitors have something called a "natural resolution". This is the resolution on your screen the monitor was made to be set and displayed at. Highering or lowering of the resolution often makes a slightly distorted image.

0 Dead Pixels- Dead pixels are pixels on an LCD that dont work. These are easily distinguished on a black background. Often though, the manufacturer will cover dead pixels up to a year on the warranty. Research the warranty before you buy.

0 Fragility- LCD monitors are very sensitive on the screen. Even slight taps on the screen may destroy pixels, which the manufacturer may not cover.

Usage

The real important question is what are you going to use the monitor for? Will it be for image editing, gaming, etc... What you will be doing with your computer has a big impact on what monitor you should buy. For the casual computer user, I would suggest a CRT. These are often quite available, and many people use them. Many gamers actually prefer CRT monitors. A LCD monitor is kind of a luxery in my opinion. If you can afford, I would say go for it. They are sleek, and in my opinion are just as good or better then CRT monitors.

Summary

In the end, it is really up to you what monitor you want to buy. Both have advantages, and disadvantages. Both dont really outweigh eachother. Me? I personally use a LCD monitor, but all of the other computers in my house are CRT. What you want, and can afford are really the factors. It is up to you.

interesting spin on things.
nicely written.
i use a CRT because im poor.
i wouldnt mind having a LCD :x
i go to LANs a lot too, pain in the arse to carry.

I've read somewhere in the news that CRT monitors have a little radioactivity going on. Everything has it's ups and downs. Choose wisely :)

I miss playing games at 1024x768 on my CRT instead of 1280x1024 which I'm forced to play in now. Other than that, I haven't looked back. Ghosting/response time isn't an issue with an LCD anymore like it once was.

very good info, exactly what i was looking for...

because im getting an LCD pretty soon, so i wanted to see why it was good.

I love my LCD, but I also hate it.

If you do any type of photo editing for prints AVOID LCD'S.

i myself shall be sticking with a CRT monitor due to the fact that i dont care to much and my computer desk is too small, and the only reason i would buy a LCD would be to make more space at my desk.

Hence, it'd be pointless for me as the desk is too small to be arsed to make space :p

Strange how people's desks started to shrink as soon as the LCD's got mainstream. Space is a pshycological issue.

TheMajor said:
Strange how people's desks started to shrink as soon as the LCD's got mainstream. Space is a pshycological issue.

Yea, my desk is getting too big! Need to go to Wal Mart and get a new desk that it "thinner" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom