LCD TV for my monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochie

Beta member
I walked in to a apartment below me with a friend and his room mate had a 37" as a Monitor.

I want this.

WHat is a good 42" LCD TV and what are features that will make it a good monitor for me?

1080p
100hz
High Contrast Ratio
More than two HDMI ports

That usually means a good screen.

100hz? Standard TV's are 60hz, otherwise they're 120. 120hz 1080p is hella expensive though

and Sony/Samsung/Sharp (usually in that order) are the best brands for LCD

Recently got 2 Toshiba Regza TVs, the quality is great on both

46RV530U
4 HDMI inputs
1080p 60Hz

and a

37CV510U
3 HDMI inputs
1080p 60Hz

I'm having some linux resolution issues which I need ot iron out, but my brother and I just threw them up the other day, so it's a slow steady work in progress.

tv1.jpg

tv2.jpg

tv3.jpg

We didn't research them very well, but they were on sale and we got 'em at a steal.

Windows is very friendly with the TV and vice versa. I'm just using an integrated graphic controller (pretty crappy one too ... Intel i830 i think...whatever is in the dell E520 stock).
the resolution in Linux isn't really working out too well, but I've only been able to tinker with it for a few hours now.
I'm using a low res, but only because it's not really going to be for gaming... mainly movies, mythtv, videos, surfing during football/sports games, fun, et cetera.

I'm happy with them so far, but there is far more to test out.

Blame the crappy pictures on my iphone ... and a shaky hand ... and the lack of light

100hz? Standard TV's are 60hz, otherwise they're 120.

Of course there are 100hz Tv's... just because we have 120's today doesnt mean there arnt 100hz...

I was merely suggesting 100hz+ was a good thing to look for, but not 100% necessary.

i would have to say the sharp aquos or the new sony bravia series with 240hz refresh rates, be warned they are pretty costly.

Sony personally offers better picture, a lot easier technology to have repaired and better service on the units. Sharp is good too, stay away from the 'cheaper' brands.

If you want a good picture go with a nice contrast ratio and 37'' screen. I'd say LCD obviously. Sony all the way, there practically the easiest to repair in my honest opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom