Laydown case blues...

Xinux

Solid State Member
Okay, a few weeks ago I purchased a new graphic card, I did the research, so i'm at home, just opened the computer case, I take out my old graphic card and try to insert the new one... then I figure out my case is a laydown type and requires a different type of graphic card...
So I go back to the store, and talk to a guy there... he said the same thing, and that the they don't sell these types of cards. What I would like to know is, what the technical name for these types of cards would be. I could avoid all of this by buying a new case, and power supply to fit in the new case, but I assume it would cost more then i'm wanting to spend, (100$ tops). Thanks.

[Breakdown]
What would be the name of a laydown case graphic card?
Where can I find it?

Um...

The laydown case as you refer to it is an old HP or Compaq or maybe an old Dell? Those cases use a low profile pci and/or agp type card. Hard to find but not impossible. The maker of the computer is really the best place to start.

ahhh, thanks, and yes quite sadly it's an old Dell, Dishdog, why would I need a new mobo? I could probably get a case to fit my current one?

All the lay down computers i have taken apart, the MOBO is a different style and wouldn't fit in a tower case.

if you get a card that has quite a low profile you can just adjust (mangle) the bracket on the graphics to make it fit your case.

you need to know that the actual cirsuit board part of it will fit first though.

its just the metal part that wont fit, its too big...
the actual card part fits fine

You can buy a low profile slot bracket and switch them out. But I thought that the desk tops like that used a "riser" to fit the mobo and then the graphics card fit sideways on the riser card.

Back
Top Bottom