Laptop

srtguy1

Beta member
I was thinking about buying a Dell laptop but my buddy said dont even waste my time cause it only had 512mb of ram and he said i would need atleast 2 gigs of ram cause i would want to run Vista, is this true? and could i just add ram like i can on a PC and how hard would it be?

on laptops, there usually is a square slot on the underside of it that opens when you unscrew it, which exposes the ram. you could get by on 512mb in vista, but you would probably want to upgrade t a gig. just make sure that if you buy the laptop, in there is only one stick of 512, and not 2 sticks of 256, becuase then yo upgrade to a gig you would need to get rid of both sticks and get 2 512's or 1 stick of a gig, where if in the laptop there was one stick of 512 and one empty slot, all you would need to do is buy another stick of 512 and you have a gig. so ya, it would be good to have 2 gigs, but 1 gig will probably do fine. what do you pla to be doing oin it?

its for college for typing papers, notes, playing cd's/mp3's, NO games or pictures or movies, just school stuff.

well ya, then a gig should probably do you just fine, just remember to get it with one stick of 512 and another empty slot. it will save you lots of money when you want to upgrade to a gig.

srtguy1 said:
its for college for typing papers, notes, playing cd's/mp3's, NO games or pictures or movies, just school stuff.
man you dont even need 512MB to run those type of stuff. Just get the laptop and use it has school work :)

X1337 said:
man you dont even need 512MB to run those type of stuff. Just get the laptop and use it has school work :)

well, he said hes planning on running vista, so the requirements for the things he will be doing and vista will be steeper. i dont know the exact requirements, but 512mb MAY be enugh, but i'd go with a gig just to be safe i you are going to get vista.

Well the laptop comes with XP but is Vista capable, i didnt plan on running vista if i didnt have to

Back
Top Bottom