Laptop wont start or even let me reformat =(

mista.h

Beta member
Hi guys,

A few days ago i turned on my Asus fj3r and it came up with that black screen saying windows vista hasn't shut down properly and when i chose either start normally or in safe mode, windows won't load. Instead it comes up with asus recovery tool. I've tried the top option of letting the tool automatically fix any disk problems and it runs through but doesnt have any effect. This has happened a few times before and i've been forced to chose the bottom option of the recovery tool and reformat the laptop (i think its like using the boot disk, the same option comes up when you press f9 at start-up).

Anyway i tried to reformat and it actually gets stuck at 10 or 12% and the computer starts making a clicking noise =S now when i power up i dont even get the recovery tool menu it automatically goes to the reformat tool and always gets stuck and i get a scary white screen with a large ERROR sign with "ERROR: S [err = 2]" at the top. The noise isn't coming from the cd drive like most noises do, i'm not sure what else would be making the noise perhaps the hard drive is completely wrecked.. Does anyone have any other suggestions before i have to take it to a repair shop? (it's out of warranty so that's a last resort)

Thanks heaps guys.

So its using a parition on the HD with a copy of the OS to reformat your regular partition?

Have you tried to insert a Windows Vista CD and boot off of the CD and reformat it that way?

it sounds like your hard drive is clicking...
same thing happened you my uncles computer a few weeks back,, i tired repairing it and all but i got over it, put in a new hd and installed a fresh copy of xp....

try and backup the data on your old hd before it fails completely.

before you go out getting a new hardcover double check that it is your hard drive clicking. if its stuffed you wouldn't hear it spinning just clicks every second or so. or it might be the sound of it trying to power up.

Back
Top Bottom