laptop oddities...

787freek

Beta member
hello, first post here...hopefully I am posting in the correct place.

I have an HP Compaq 6710b that seems to have a mind of its own. Some times you can not plug the power chord in without bogging the thing down. watching the CPU usage chart it will shoot up to 100% as soon as you plug it in. when you unplug it usage goes back to normal (below 20% ish)... this does not always happen, in fact right at this moment it is working fine...nothing really triggers this problem that I can tell.

when you unplug it the following balloon pops up...

"The Broadcom netlink gigabit ethernet device can now be safely removed from the system"

then when you plug it back in the following balloon pops up...

"a network cable is unplugged"

as I said, nothing seems to trigger this problem. I can be running fine, then it will appear to freeze up. A look at the CPU usage chart will show it at 100%, and if you unplug the power chord you can watch the usage chart return to normal. Normal is actually more along the 5%-10% average.

thanks in advance for any help!

sorry, thought I was specific about it being a laptop (with a battery)...

but to rule out a battery problem, it charges well, and at full charge gives me several hours of use. while plugged in you can run without the battery and the problems are still there so I do not think battery or cable is the problem here.

thanks

when you unplug it the following balloon pops up...

"The Broadcom netlink gigabit ethernet device can now be safely removed from the system"

then when you plug it back in the following balloon pops up...

"a network cable is unplugged"
That's completely normal - nothing wrong there.

Can you tell us what process is hogging all the CPU resources? When it next happens, open up task manager and check the program that's using 80% + CPU resources.

The broadcom thing is just a setting. In the power settings you can control what devices operate when on battery and when on power. It sounds like the network card is set to be 'on' only when the power is plugged in. I wouldn't worry about this if you use wireless.

However, you will need to check and see what is using all the memory. It's not unusually for things to bog down momentarily while everything adjusts to being on power. I'd bet that since the network card turns on/off with the battery/power, there are probably other things doing the same. It's probably worth a look at the power settings to determine what is set to turn on/off. Also look in task manager as you plug/unplug it and see what takes up the resources.

I see that issue on the 8510w's we have at school. First thing to try (which fixes this about half of the time) is a windows reinstall. If that does not fix it, the problem is the motherboard in the laptop.

Back
Top Bottom