Laptop keeps turning off.

I've owned a lot of laptops and I had pretty good luck with them. I grew up with brands like Compaq, HP, and Gateway. I tend to stay away from Toshiba's though as I heard they can have lots of problems. Also all the HP lappy's i've had tend to run hot, and that's not even gaming on them.

EDIT:
But that's the only issue I had with my HP laptops, other than that...they run fine.

Last edited:
Yes that's one way but I might just accidently leave it on the driveway so the missus backs over it, it will work to as she managed to hop out of her auto car with it still in drive and the car went though the auto garage door, yep $2200:00 later and we could open it again.:lol::lol::lol:
I'll just have to keep plodding on, Cheers Bill.

LoL..Well good luck to you Bill, and don't be afraid to try a different laptop in the future. I have always used laptops and I had pretty good luck with them. ;)

EDIT:
Out of all the laptops I've owned I only had one HHD go out on me.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hi Mate, Your right about that, I've got another Toshiba that has a warning come up when they start it saying "the hard drive is going to fail" so I took the hard drive out and out it into my test bench to check it and is was going to fail, I managed to save the 1000's of photo's and then it failed. This is the first for me to. I've put a SSD into it and it runs perfectly now so that was an easy and quick fix.[/FONT]
I use laptops but I just don't like to work on them but family is family so you do what you have to do.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thanks to everyone for your help, I think I might just replace the whole cooling system.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cheers to you all, Regards Bill.[/FONT]

Last edited:
It's a good thing you got to save all those photo's before it failed. Well good luck to you my friend. :)

Hi Bill,

I know this is a bit late, but have you tried disconnecting the hard drive then attempting to boot up the PC? If the PC stays on (it'll just display an error message on screen as no Hard Drive will be in the machine), then try putting a different hard drive in the PC and see how long it stays on for.

As for the "click" sound. That's actually fairly normal when the power is immediately taken away and doesn't necessarily indicate hard drive failure. You can replicate this sound yourself by holding the power button on the laptop until it switches off (kills the power immediately).

EDIT: For some reason I skipped over your most recent update simply because it was written in a different font... glad to hear you fixed it! :)

Well in light of all that's gone on in this thread, I'd have to say it got wet. When lands and SMD components get wet they grow metal hairs that can lay over and cause shorts. That would explain why it's doing what it does regardless off what's hooked up to it. A stiff brush over the board might dislodge what ever hair is causing the short. But then you're going to need a powerful magnifying glass to see them to start with.

Back
Top Bottom