laptop kb goes dead randomly

Was going to wait another day to reply, because sometimes it takes days to happen but...

Reseat worked for now (also cleaned up the drive, registry, etc...), haven't had to use the numerical keys at top, and with the two layer sandwich build style of the keyboard, there's no cleaning the unit or replacing individual keys. But like I said, the sticky (or rather the troublesome) keys are the ones I mucked up during the original removal and made worse with the latest removal so they're not dirty anyway, just tiny physical damage, just have to press a little harder on them to use.

Consider this fixed for now. If it happens again I will post here, but my next fix will be both replacing the kb AND wiping windows.

So a reseat worked? If you have sticky keys this can affect your in working.. I'd suggest you clean them or replace.

This is late since you've said you are reinstalling a fresh win 7 after a new keyboard any way but did you try booting into Safe mode and seeing if there were still problems? The Linux LiveCD would be even better like carnage suggested but Safe mode would also be a way to rule out things like malware etc...

This is late since you've said you are reinstalling a fresh win 7 after a new keyboard any way but did you try booting into Safe mode and seeing if there were still problems? The Linux LiveCD would be even better like carnage suggested but Safe mode would also be a way to rule out things like malware etc...

He has confirmed its a hardware issue. I wouldnt think this was ever a malware issue, normally malware would remove kb reg keys, so any reboot would not fix it.. you'd have to do a sys restore or add the reg keys back....

Last edited:
Was going to wait another day to reply, because sometimes it takes days to happen but...

Reseat worked for now (also cleaned up the drive, registry, etc...), haven't had to use the numerical keys at top, and with the two layer sandwich build style of the keyboard, there's no cleaning the unit or replacing individual keys. But like I said, the sticky (or rather the troublesome) keys are the ones I mucked up during the original removal and made worse with the latest removal so they're not dirty anyway, just tiny physical damage, just have to press a little harder on them to use.

Consider this fixed for now. If it happens again I will post here, but my next fix will be both replacing the kb AND wiping windows.

If the keys are damaged, they can get stuck down if the spring goes or plastic gets stuck under it, so you may not notice, I'd suggest replacing the kb or the keys..

I'd never suggested to keep a damaged kb as these issues happen...

I have had many laptops are work with damaged or dirty keys that get stuck... and we have to fix / clean / replace.. :cool:

Last edited:

Yeah, I always keep my system free of mal/spy/bloatware, just part of my desktop building background. Safemode is always a good idea in the future, but I almost always find the solution without having to resort to booting into safemode, but I would have the same issue with safemode that I would have with LiveCD, I just cannot "not" have access to all my programs, games, utilities for that large amount of time, and I know safemode allows some access to these programs, but still some would be hampered.

Anyway, day 3-ish, still working good (besides the aforementioned numerical keys of course). And I know the damaged kb HAS to go, but paycheck has to come lol.

Back
Top Bottom