Laptop is a mess with spyware, adware, trojan...

eapro

In Runtime
My lil' bro is kinda new to computers cause it performs very very poorly and sometimes shuts down by itself.

So I ran a scan with SpyNoMore and not-to-my-surprise almost immediately the list started growing ...about 5mins later there were 153 pieces :eek: of malware, spyware, trojan, you name it. Vudou, WinAntiVirus, Zango, Outerinfo, etc.

From now on I he will have to consult me before downloading ANYTHING!!! but I need to get him a fresh start and I can't find a windows cd :(. I use to have 2 copies.

Is it possible to format the harddrive without a cd?

yes, it is possible, if your computer has a thingie :confused: on it. when you turn it on it might press F11 to start recovery. My gateway laptop does this it says press F11 to start recovery in 3 seconds or something, but just check. If not, you're effed. Tell us what computer you have.

:( no it doens't have that because it's been formated before (not origional os)... I did system restore and it said "Restoration Incomplete...no changes have been made to your computer.":confused:

The more time consuming route would be to drop in to safe mode and just keep running the scans till they find nothing. If you have some pests you just can't seem to kill then use Stinger. Google for it.
If you format the drive without a os cd you're dead in the water. And it sounds like to me you're running bareback on that rig or he's disabling the protection. After you get it running again try setting him up on it as a guest or restricted user. Disable downloads. Block dodgy websites in the firewall. or if all else fails put the brakes on the internet connection.

Oh yeah, NOD32 is worth every penny of the 40 bucks a year. It's smart, has a small footprint, and updates on it's own. The scans are thorough and rarely miss anything. Zone Alarm is still free and one of the best firewalls on the market today.

Back
Top Bottom