Laptop Help

wilsonator

Baseband Member
I'v got a wirless network set up and my laptop connects to it fine, but when I try to add it to the actual network (as in file sharing network) I have a problem.

As soon as I launch the network set up wizard I get this :

"Cannot complete the network setup wizard.

The wizard detected that this computer belongs to a domain, therefore you cannot use this wizard to set up a network".

The laptop already has a vpn connection set up, could this be the problem?

Please help me as I can't print from the laptop wirlessley. The printer doesn't have a print server but is shared from my host computer which therefore acts as a server. Printing wirlessley from my other computer works fine so therefore its not a router problem just a laptop one.

wilsonator said:
The wizard detected that this computer belongs to a domain, therefore you cannot use this wizard to set up a network".

You need to remove the laptop from the domain that it apparently is a part of. To do this: Right-click My Computer>>Properties>>Computer Name>>Change (to rename this computer or join a domain). Select workgroup and clear the name listed in domain. Restart pc ... good to go.

go to the properties of tcp ip if you have previously joined a domain, there should be a tab at the window where you configure the ip address that says alternate configuration. If you click this tab there is a place to enter an aternate ip address that your notebook will use if it can not obtain an ip address using your domain / dhcp. You will want to put in a static ip that your wireless home network uses.

also fill in all the rest like subnet and gateway ( the router ip) all except for wins, that is for pre DNS os like 98 , leave blank.

Back
Top Bottom