Laptop help with installing new OS

hemp

Daemon Poster
My dad got this free Dell Inspiron 8500 from work and it currently has Kubuntu on it. He knows nothing about computers and he gave it to me and said make this work so I can use it for the internet.

I was going to just install Windows XP SP3, but I cannot find my disc that happened to be a Windows XP SP 1 disc.

I have never installed a new OS without it being on a disc and I may just find a download for it. I have the Product Key for Windows XP sitting in front of me as well. I just have no idea how to burn the OS to a disc and make it so when I boot from disc it runs.

I am hoping to get this done in the next few hours so he can take it to work with him in the morning.

Any and all help is appreciated.

If you need any other information about the situation let me know.

There are a few cool programs that will let you put it on a USB drive to install from. Unfortunately this requires you to have the original disc :|

Finding a download will be impossible without visiting your Uncle; Know your risks.
Either way, when you can get a hold on the original files, put them in a folder. Download MagicISO and PowerISO. Use MagicISO to compile the folder into a ISO which you will make bootable. Use PowerISO to burn the bootable ISO you made to disc. The reason I say use these two instead of one is shareware limitation. PowerISO won't let you save ISO's or add boot information easily, and MagicISO won't let you burn ISO's over a certain size. If you decide you'd like to buy some software, there is much nicer stuff out there. But these two work fine for the purpose of doing the above**

** If anyone has a program that is more suitable for the above, please don't hesitate to post it :O I'd love some new software to try for this.

I used PowerISO and burned it to a DVD and it worked just fine. The laptop is all updated and seems to have no problems at all. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom