Laptop HDD is cactus, why won't one from other laptop work in it?

apples0_17

Baseband Member
Okay so i have two older laptops.

One works one doesn't. The compaq HDD seems to be cactus 110%.

So I take the HDD from the working one and stick it in the compaq, and all it does is bring up the black dos screen telling me windows was abruptly shut down etc, choose which mode to start it, ie safe, safe +network, normal etc.

None of these options work.

How can I make this HDD work in the dud computer?

The reason I need this laptop to work is because I need to use one in the work van with a 12V to 240V inverter. The good laptop that works now, will not run using the inverter. Maybe the compaq will, but I need to sort this HDD out first.

Peter

What version of windows is this? the reason I ask is because Vista/7 do not let you transfer the OS like that, and I am kinda unsure on xp (though i think xp safe mode should work.)

What are model numbers off the laptops?

Yeah I was aware of this too. It is xp I think, has been at least 2 year since it died.

Dead unit is a Compaq Presario 700
Good one is an Excel Notebook Computer, Model 5600P

Safe mode did not work.

Anything from XP and higher won't let you swap HDDs just like that. The drivers differs and therefore, you won't be able to get Windows running.

You could try this:
1) Reinstall Windows (Will format and destroy all data inside) and you'll have it going OR:

You buy a second HDD, new or used and then you could install Windows in that drive and the problem will be solved.

If you want to salvage data, you could buy a 2.5 inch HDD to usb converter (google it, I'm unsure if u need sata or IDE) and use it to back up all data to a desktop, then reinstall windows over the laptop hard drive, and transfer whatever data you need back from the desktop through ftp (or whatever method you like)

Yeah thanks fella's, I really didn't want to hear that but I sort of suspected that anyway.

I will just copy the info from the good hdd to an external portable hdd via usb and put good hdisk into other laptop and reinstal blah blah blah.

Thanks,

Why is everyone so against reinstalling Windows? In the end it really makes everything run smoother and it's a whole lot easier than if you were to actually try and get that already installed OS running on the other laptop.

Back
Top Bottom