laptop hangs on windows boot, gpu problem?

inf3ct10nz3r0

Solid State Member
Hey,

I have a MSI gt660-003us laptop, core i7 740, 6gb ram, running windows 7 home premium etc etc.
Occasionally on boot up it would hang with a backlit black screen after the windows boot logo, sometimes while i'm playing games (only Heroes of Newerth though, not more demanding games like Crysis or Sc2). About 2 weeks ago it ALWAYS hang on boot, so i reformatted to factory settings, thinking that i screwed up the drivers when i was updating. But even after that, it still hangs. On safe mode it boots fine.
I discovered recently though that it stays on that black screen for about 5 minutes, then boots fine, previously i thought it completely freezes.

I would like some opinions on what the issues might be (driver or hardware failure) before i send it in for repairs, it's still under warranty.

I swear msi drivers are horrible. T__T
thanks

In the past I have had the same experience if there's a disc in the drive or there's a USB drive attached to the laptop. Is this the case?

If not, I would double check your BIOS settings. It is most likely set to automatically detect the hardware in the machine and this may be causing the issue. You can alternatively set the drives up manually to be statically set so there's no autodetection process.

+1 for the name :D

Back
Top Bottom