Laptop dropping off internet on video calls

harryramsden

Solid State Member
Can anyone help with the following? Laptop keeps dropping off the internet during Zoom, Skype, Teams and Facebook video calls. It's fine when streaming live TV, etc., so isn't a bandwidth issue. It's only a problem during video calls.

I have looked at the following, none of which have solved the problem.
- Firmware on Wi-Fi router is up-to-date.
- Checked Wi-Fi channel being used - I'm the only user on the channel I'm on.
- Used network trouble-shooter.
- Run network commands to do something I don't understand.
- Network driver software is up-to-date.
- Changed network driver settings to not apply any power saving settings.
- Replaced microfilter.
- Used Ethernet cable from router.
- Vodafone confirmed that internet is working fine to the house.

Can anyone help with the following? Laptop keeps dropping off the internet during Zoom, Skype, Teams and Facebook video calls. It's fine when streaming live TV, etc., so isn't a bandwidth issue. It's only a problem during video calls.

I have looked at the following, none of which have solved the problem.
- Firmware on Wi-Fi router is up-to-date.
- Checked Wi-Fi channel being used - I'm the only user on the channel I'm on.
- Used network trouble-shooter.
- Run network commands to do something I don't understand.
- Network driver software is up-to-date.
- Changed network driver settings to not apply any power saving settings.
- Replaced microfilter.
- Used Ethernet cable from router.
- Vodafone confirmed that internet is working fine to the house.

Dropping off as? you lose connection to the internet... so for example you set up a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 and when you video call, the call connection drops and the pings timeout?

I'm not good with technology, but found out how to do the continuous ping. Set that up, then did a video call, which duly chucked me off the internet. The text on the command prompt read "Request timed out".

I hope someone can help. During the coronavirus lock down I am having to rely on video calls quite a lot, so this problem is frustrating.

I'm not good with technology, but found out how to do the continuous ping. Set that up, then did a video call, which duly chucked me off the internet. The text on the command prompt read "Request timed out".

I hope someone can help. During the coronavirus lock down I am having to rely on video calls quite a lot, so this problem is frustrating.

OK good your learning.

Are you using wifi or network cable?

Have you tried replacing network cable with a new one, and/or review your wifi settings?

after the above, if you still have issues, can you also run the ping without any programs open, and see if you get drops as well.

I have replaced the microfilter and also tried connecting a new ethernet cable to the wifi router, but it's made no difference.

I have gone through some wifi settings (see original post), but it you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

I will try the continuous ping without any programme open and see what happens.

Did the continuous ping for about 20 mins. It didn't time out.

Statistics:
- 2296 packets sent, 2296 packets received
- average round trip 15 ms

Back
Top Bottom