Laptop doesnt connect to wireless network

Daviss

Baseband Member
I have a D-Link wireless broadband router connected to my DSL modem and PC and the internet works fine on the PC. But there is an issue with my laptop. It finds the wireless network but cant connect to it somehow. It shows an error - windows in unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range, though the laptop is next to the router.

Any help will be appriciated. Im totally new to networking so.. :p

Is it setup with a network Key? Encryption? Shouldn't be if you just bought it. But it could be if you got it from someone. Please give the exact error message, in detail. I know it will give you that error, but what does it give you Before that?

Yeah im using the shared key and encryption. Bought both the laptop and router yesterday. But it was working last night. Exact error message - windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. please refresh the list of available networks, and try again. Thats all. I just press connect on my network, it says detecting network type.. and error comes out.

EDIT

Ok, now i took off the encryption and the key and it connected. But isnt that dangerous? I mean now its an open network and everyone can connect to it?

You're having a problem with the encryption. What type are you using? WAP or WEP?
Is the key correct in the wireless properties of the device attached to your computer? I ask because if it isn't, Windows will give you the error you just gave me.
Yes, others can connect to your wireless network, if it is unprotected. As of now, it is officially unprotected. Do you live in a residentual neighborhood? If so, encryption is a must. If you live in the suburbs- not needed as much (because the houses are further apart, and set farther from the street- chances of someone connecting to your network are unlikely) I would go through the process of setting up the encryption again- use WEP. I believe WAP is supposed to be more secure, but WEP is ok to use- it's what I use, and I do everything on my computer! One more thing- have you changed the default password for the admin account on your router? If not, do it now

Note: Use WEP encryption with an Open key :cool:

You can also configure the router to accept only your IP and Mac addresses of the PC you want to allow on the network. They're called IP and Mac filtering and are usually found in the security section of your router configuration screen.

I thought about giving him that route, but I heard it is relatively easy to "spoof" a MAC address. The only way this will happen is if someone in your neighborhood is some type of hacker- and really wants what you have on your computer.
So if the first option doesn't work, take TRDCorolla's advice and set it up for MAC filtering.

Nah, i dont think i should worry about hackers, I just dont want anyone else to use my internet. Just want some light security so its not like someone can just get into my network with 2 clicks :)

Back
Top Bottom