Laptop: Dell vs. Custom

G9

Daemon Poster
Alright, I'm going to upgrade an old Sony VAIO...

Memory for $188.99

hard drivex2 for RAID

OS for $119.95.

I need somewhere that has mobile video cards.

Picture before opening up:

Mikey1

In Runtime
go custom all the way.............and if u got any questions just ask..........it is really easy if u just are fimiliar and not rush or get nervous.TO get fimiliar just read every thread on here lol..........my computer costed bout $800 with my new Video and sound card and it could own any labtop for $700 no question.

Ð88

Fully Optimized
Mikey said:
go custom all the way.............and if u got any questions just ask..........it is really easy if u just are fimiliar and not rush or get nervous.TO get fimiliar just read every thread on here lol..........my computer costed bout $800 with my new Video and sound card and it could own any labtop for $700 no question.
I think he means custom build a laptop, not a desktop.

As far as I know you can't custom build a laptop in the same way as a desktop like buying the empty case and installing all the parts. If anything I think it will end up costing you more (if it were possible). I say go with a manufacturer like Dell as you have been looking at.

G9

Daemon Poster
Yeah, but before just giving up I want to compile a list of parts and see how much it is.

Ð88

Fully Optimized
Ok but the thing is, I don't think anyone sells empty laptop cases for you to build your own so compiling all these parts as you are doing will only be in vain.

G9

Daemon Poster
Maximum PC made a whole article saying that laptop kits are being more readily available. Of course, this was complete with a guide to make custom laptops.

Ð88

Fully Optimized
Ok i guess if that's true, I can still say that i have never come across all the parts to build a custom notebook.

G9

Daemon Poster
Hmm... actually, scratch that. Remember my budget rig project? In return, the person I'm doing it for will hand over his old Pentium 4 Sony VAIO laptop. It's got two harddrives, so I think I'll swap in some new harddrives, get them to RAID, get a new video card, and get 2x1GB memory.

Memory

I need somewhere that has mobile video cards.