laggy/scratchy sound

zeldaboy101

Solid State Member
After installing a 9800gt in my current setup (3 ghz single core 1.5gb ram) i'm getting better graphics performance over my old 6600gt, but the sound is now laggy and likes to stutter and be scratchy in COD5 and I even tried bioshock to see if older games had the problem. Bioshock ran fine on the 6600 without audio problems, but now it's got the stuttering/scratchy dialogue as well.

Any idea what's causing it?

thanks,
Jeremy

Did you completely uninstall your old drivers? Try uninstalling the drivers and downloading the latest ones from the site.

For the life of me I couldn't find the old drivers to uninstall, weren't in the control panel or start menu. I'm installing the new drivers now, if it doesn't fix it i'll let you guys know. Thanks.

Found the old driver, deleted it, installed the latest driver, no change in the audio. It's still laggy/scratchy even with the newest patch for COD5.

Hmm...

Is the audio built into the motherboard by any chance?

Since your playing on a single core, its possible that these new games, with the new card, is taking more out of your CPU than you realise. The CPU is still used a lot, and it is possible the newer video card is using more resources to run, than the 6600 did.

I advise you buy a cheap sound card, as this will fix your problem 100%, trust me.

Okay, try logging into safe mode and then uninstalling and installing the new drivers. Try using CCC cleaner to completely get rid of everything.

My 9800's fan is pretty big and looks like the soundcard would practically be flush up against the fan, it'll be a tight fit (if it fits) so will having a big soundcard right there cause the video card to heat up more or is that fan dispersing most of the heat out the sides of the cooler?

So would there be a huge difference between the $30 card and this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

I've always been fine with the mobo's sound card, this one came with an above average one and sounds fine, just the performance issue that's bugging me from the lack of a sound card.

*bump*

I'm starting to dislike the automerging here....posting a day later doesn't update the post so hopefully you guys see i've still got a question here.

Back
Top Bottom