KVM switch question/problem

Rossavitz

Beta member
My current desktop involves a standard set up but I have 2 monitors. I also have a laptop that sits on my desk. Would it be possible to use a KVM Switch to toggle between my desktop and laptop while using a 2 monitor set up and utilize the same mouse/keyboard for desktop and laptop?

To get more complicated, can I run a 3rd, separate monitor for just laptop use while using the original 2 desktop monitors just for the desktop?

So, the goal would be: 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, 3 monitors. 2 monitors dedicated to the desktop, 1 monitor dedicated to the laptop. I assume a KVM switch to toggle the keyboard/mouse between the desktop and laptop.

My laptop has 1 monitor port on the back, and my desktop has 2. Mouse and keyboard are both USB.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

If I am understanding this correctly, yes it is possible. We did the same thing here at my job where an employee had to use 2 computers. One had a double monitor setup, while the other had 1 monitor. You will just want to make sure you have 1 video port open on the desktop (usually VGA, but there are DVI and HDMI ones available) and the laptop port open as well.

It sounds like you're just needing the KVM switch for the mouse and keyboard, in which case yes it's definitely possible. Just run the monitors as you describe, connecting them to the desktop / laptop, then connect up the mouse and keyboard to the KVM switch. Should be as easy as that!

wow!! I think it really might be that simple. I might have been making it more complicated than necessary.

I do not need my monitors to switch it's display, as is needed for most people using a kvm set up. I guess (as you were smart enough to point out) what I just really need is for the mouse/keyboard to switch.

I appreciate all the help and input. I'll be sure to post back if I can get it working, going to do some local store searching for a switch, if not i'll hit up newegg.

wow. that's amazing stuff. i have some time before work and am going to give Input Director a try. It's exactly what I want. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom