Knowledge Based System

Shane22

Beta member
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this but I want to start doing bits of programming and hopefully build up to making small apps or maybe games on unity. To start I was thinking of making a knowledge based system on excel which would recommend what computer components you need for certain tasks. For example if you wanted a computer simply for home tasks such as web browsing or using Office programs then you won't need a good graphics card. Do you think this is a good starting place for my little 'endeavour' so to speak?

I wouldn't suggest using Excel to store the data. Use an actual database that you can more easily query against.

As far as your app idea itself - it'd have to change quite often, since tech changes rapidly. You also have to factor in whether you're just looking at performance or price to performance ratio, which then it would change even more, because prices fluctuate.

Neither. If you're wanting to get into programming, then avoid Access & Excel for data storage.

Use MySQL or SQL Server or some other similar data storage (there's "No-SQL" databases as well such as MongoDB). All of these DB technologies are able to be hooked into by many popular programming languages.

Neither. If you're wanting to get into programming, then avoid Access & Excel for data storage.

Use MySQL or SQL Server or some other similar data storage (there's "No-SQL" databases as well such as MongoDB). All of these DB technologies are able to be hooked into by many popular programming languages.

Ah ok my bad, sorry to sound stupid but are these free to use?

Yes.

The "No-SQL" are all free/open source. MySQL is free/open source as well. Microsoft SQL Server is free, but limits you to 10GB per database for a file size restriction.

I would love to know what the OP defines as a "Knowledge based System". That sounds very much like a machine learning approach, which is a highly advanced topic even for experienced programmers.

Edit: Post count = 711, 711 is a convenience store in Australia that sells $1 frozen cokes. Aus FTW.

I would love to know what the OP defines as a "Knowledge based System". That sounds very much like a machine learning approach, which is a highly advanced topic even for experienced programmers.

Edit: Post count = 711, 711 is a convenience store in Australia that sells $1 frozen cokes. Aus FTW.
I feel like you didn't read the OP. lol

Also, 7-11 is a convenience store chain worldwide ;).

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this but I want to start doing bits of programming and hopefully build up to making small apps or maybe games on unity. To start I was thinking of making a knowledge based system on excel which would recommend what computer components you need for certain tasks. For example if you wanted a computer simply for home tasks such as web browsing or using Office programs then you won't need a good graphics card. Do you think this is a good starting place for my little 'endeavour' so to speak?

Sounds like predefined systems to me based on a use-case to me. It can be as complicated or simple as needed. In this case, simple, since he's new to programming. Just a database to store the info, and a front-end to display/edit/add info.

Back
Top Bottom