Knowledgable Headphone People look here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
yeah, but I know a few people here like 003, ericB and I'd assume Crysalis would know.

I'm honored. :p

To get a freq response chart, you have to go directly to the manufacturer's website. Especially for microphones and their pickup pattern.

To be honest, I dont use headphones very often. Well, actually, in studio work, NEVER. The only time is use them is for onstage monitoring (when i'm playing) and during editing with other people in the room.

My headphones (which i love) are Audio Technica ATH-M40fs (FS meaning flat response). They are some of the best/comfortable headphones i have used. There is the well known Sony MD-7509HD (which is supposedly industry standard, but i have only used them once and didn't care for them).

Just try to find response charts for the model your looking it. You want a good response from probably 15/20k-20/30khz.

I just did some research on that pair (K240) and it seems they are pretty well liked. Range is 15hz-25khz (very good), but I dont know how flat it is. Some people say they are bright while others say they are flat.

They are discontinued tho, so it will be hard to find a response chart.

You honestly can't go wrong with AKG with most things... they have two of my favorite Mics... the 414 and the 451 (amazing microphones)

What will you be using them for? How much can you spend in total? What type of music (if any) will you listen to on them? Do you need open or closed? What will you be hooking them up to?
003 - look at my post man, these headphones came in the kit provided by the school :) . Well, I guess they aren't "provided" as I had to pay like $580 for the kit, but these are the phones they chose. Obviously there are better headphones, but these are supposed to have better midrange quality than the last ones the school was putting in the kits and a nice clear sound. It's mainly going to be used for listening to recordings made in pro tools and things like that although I haven't even really used them much lately just because I'm really used to my current ones and like them although they are super cheap. So technically these have to go through the 'burn in' time and whatnot, but I haven't been really doing that.

Crysalis - The k240 monitors are discontinued, make sure you're looking at the k240 studios, those should be available.

I went to the manufacturers website and originally tried posting that link, but it didn't work, that's why I just linked to some place that were selling them as the next best option. At their website I didn't see a frequency response chart. Didn't even notice that it said the frequency range was freakin 15Hz to 25kHz though, that's pretty insane considering 20kHz and up wouldn't even be detectable really. Which brings me to this:

Just try to find response charts for the model your looking it. You want a good response from probably 15/20k-20/30khz.
I don't even think I've seen one listed with 30kHz honestly. Seems kind of strange that they have them go up that freakin high when a human really shouldn't even be able to detect anywhere close to that but I supposed it adds to that little extra 'high crystally tones' or whatever you want to call them.

Nubius said:
003 - look at my post man, these headphones came in the kit provided by the school :) . Well, I guess they aren't "provided" as I had to pay like $580 for the kit, but these are the phones they chose. Obviously there are better headphones, but these are supposed to have better midrange quality than the last ones the school was putting in the kits and a nice clear sound. It's mainly going to be used for listening to recordings made in pro tools and things like that although I haven't even really used them much lately just because I'm really used to my current ones and like them although they are super cheap. So technically these have to go through the 'burn in' time and whatnot, but I haven't been really doing that.

Crysalis - The k240 monitors are discontinued, make sure you're looking at the k240 studios, those should be available.

I went to the manufacturers website and originally tried posting that link, but it didn't work, that's why I just linked to some place that were selling them as the next best option. At their website I didn't see a frequency response chart. Didn't even notice that it said the frequency range was freakin 15Hz to 25kHz though, that's pretty insane considering 20kHz and up wouldn't even be detectable really. Which brings me to this:

I don't even think I've seen one listed with 30kHz honestly. Seems kind of strange that they have them go up that freakin high when a human really shouldn't even be able to detect anywhere close to that but I supposed it adds to that little extra 'high crystally tones' or whatever you want to call them.
While I have not heard those headphones, AKG is known for their very good midrange quality, of course they still can produce lemmons that arn't very good. The K501 woud have been a much better choice for midrange sound, I can tell you that. It's basicly the little brother of the K1000 in terms of sound quality and isn't much more than the one you got. Most people who have decent hearing can hear slightly over 20Khz, I think the max is something like 23Khz. I can hear to somewhere between 21 and 22khz. There are cheap headphones that have a very high freq. response, such as those by audio technica, which go up to 42Khz, however, most of their headphones, excluding the AD2000 and W5000, are not very good for music. Having a higher frequency response will not make it better with high frequencys. Once you pass the point you can hear, it's just that. You can't hear it. Period.

Well, the better the range the better it will handle at other ranges. Just because it can produce 25khz, doesn't mean it will produce it well. If you have a range like that, then it probably wont have a problem producing 20khz. If it just goes up to 20, then it is probably pretty good in the 14-17khz range and starts to drop when it gets to 19-20.

ahh, I see what you're saying crysalis.

003 - Hmmm, sucks they didn't go with the ones you mentioned then. Don't know who decided to go with these though. Don't even think it was the academic director of the audio production course because he wasn't even sure which headphones were in the kit until someone showed them to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom