killing bearshare......

Okay I will throw out soem idea's. You shouldn't convince him to allow illegal activity, it's good to buy music instead of downloading it illegally :)

Start blocking servers under yoru router. If you have a more advanced router, you may be able to filter out p2p traffic. Even some newer cheaper routers you can filter out p2p traffic.

Second is custom software to stop the application from running.

Third is to clasify the program executable as a virus under their antivirus software.

Fourth is to block traffic in a PC based firewall

Fifth is to edit the hosts file if it uses any domain looking up (Which I don't think it does)

Yeah, some firewall programs like ZoneAlarm lets you set the priority etc of certain programs.

You could block it with Windows Firewall, but this will do no good if they are computer savvy and have admin accounts. You could also give them limited accounts, and if they want to run programs, they would have to input a password for the admin in order to run. I would try the firewall option, and see if you can't keep them from opening the firewall back up.

pctechmike said:
You could block it with Windows Firewall, but this will do no good if they are computer savvy and have admin accounts. You could also give them limited accounts, and if they want to run programs, they would have to input a password for the admin in order to run. I would try the firewall option, and see if you can't keep them from opening the firewall back up.

Well you could deny admin access to writing to the firewall config files, and only give your account access to that.

However you can change permissions from an admin account, but i doubt they know how to do that.

Also change permissions to nobody for the main program folder, this way they will try to launch it and get an error on rights, and they will not be able to reinstall it to the same folder.

Yeah, get Zonealarm, and block acess to the internet from Bearshare. And it it YOUR comp, or theirs? and whoes name does the isp have for the account, because that will be the person sued.

wood_workur said:
Yeah, get Zonealarm, and block acess to the internet from Bearshare. And it it YOUR comp, or theirs? and whoes name does the isp have for the account, because that will be the person sued.

No one is going to get sued, there are millions using bearshare, and some more then others, the people that abuse it, will be the ones caught 1st..

I think your best bet is to isolate the port that is uses and block it with your router (if you are using one). The downside is that it might make other programs inoperable that are using the same port.

edit - update: I found out that bearshare uses the HTTP port (80) so disabling that would mean you can't browse the internet either.....back to the drawing board.

lol one more update: Try blocking ports 6346 to 6349 which are all TCP protocols (or just port 6346). That might stop any transfering of data between bearshare (both incoming and outgoing). Yeah i think that will do the trick.

There is a 0% that you will get sued if you have disabled uploading and if you have fewer than like 5,000 illegally downloaded songs.

However you could just require administrative privelages to install programs, and not make them admins.

If you do end up keeping bearshare, Peer Guardian 2 will make even more sure that you never get caught... Really though, the RIAA/MPAA is looking out for MUCH more than someone downloading "Bad Day". :p

Back
Top Bottom