Keep XP pro or move to vista ultimate?

I would go with vista, I have vista ultimate on both my laptop and PC. People say that vista is incompatible with many things, it may well be with old hardware in some situations but XP is terrible with new hardware. I attempted to try it out on my laptop so I could test it against vista. It couldn't recognise my SATA HDD, had to go into the BIOS and fake that I had an ATA, sound quality was terrible, got several blue screens and it was crashing constantly. Also my gaming performance decreased dramatically. XP was awful on my laptop so I went straight back to vista! (By the way I'm not saying XP is this bad on all PCs, it was ok on some of my previous ones, but isn't even close to vista anymore IMO)

If you can i would suggest setting up dual boot for a while, I'm still finding XP Pro SP3 x86 better than Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 for gaming. (assuming you would install the x64 version)

As to the "memory hog" accusations against Vista, it is Superfetch that "reserves" the memory to hold data for "recently accessed" apps etc, it releases the memory as soon as there is demand for it from a different source. If you don't mind waiting an extra nano second or two for things to load you can disable Superfetch (and other services) if you so desire, I have it disabled on my Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 installation.

EDIT: I've just read the article linked above and although two years old it is reasonably pertinent though I personally disagree with his theory on cache. Each to his own I guess.

Back
Top Bottom