Just wondering...

dan7777

In Runtime
I am going to send off my SATA hd under guarantee because I think it's a bit duff. It has windows installed on it and all my files etc.

Am I able to simply copy and paste all the data from my SATA to my secondary PATA hd? Which I will use whilst I wait for a new hd. Will Windows boot up as usual?

Thanks for your help.

Its not quite as easy as copy/paste . You need to use a piece of drive cloning software to clone the hard drive data from the sata onto the ide drive

So if i had 2 Sata HDDs and wanted a music file which was on one on the other could i not just drag and drop and then delete the original?

So if i had 2 Sata HDDs and wanted a music file which was on one on the other could i not just drag and drop and then delete the original?

with music files etc it would work. With most programs and operating systems it isn't as simple as copy & paste.

edit: as for the cloning programs, I've heard some good stuff about norton ghost. Don't have any personal experience though.

all my files etc.

That was part of his qs which wasn't answered, what was answered was how to convert the programs/os so no i was just pointing out something.

Well music folders and documents are easy enough to copy and paste but when it comes to an operating system and programs it isnt this easy .
Norton ghost works well from my experience

Yeah, I've used Norton Ghost in the past, and have got a good clone out of it thats worked.

I find after installing a new Windows installation, fresh, making a Ghost image of it really helps when you want to start from scratch :)

Back
Top Bottom