Just looking for an opinion or two

All i7 9xx processors (Minus the 980x) are Bloomfields and will have approximately the same percentage of potential for overclocks. The end results will be different because of the multipliers. One, if not a few, of our members have their 920's solid at 4.2 and beyond. Which is plenty fast.

Corsair is probably the biggest name in PSU's; Renowned for quality and warranty. Not so much for customer service, in my experience. But chances are you will never need to return the PSU unless it's DOA, so don't let that deter you in the slightest. I can also gladly suggest Ultra's PSU's. They're a bit expensive, though.

Other brands I would trust:

Antec (higher wattage. Not had any dealings/experience with their low wattage)

PC Power and Cooling <--- VERY expensive. But quality reflects price.

SeaSonic USA <--- Who I've come to like again. From what I had seen, they weren't doing too hot a while back. But they're doing excellent once more! (So you know, SeaSonic is the OEM producer for more than half of the PSU's you see)

All i7 9xx processors (Minus the 980x) are Bloomfields and will have approximately the same percentage of potential for overclocks. The end results will be different because of the multipliers. One, if not a few, of our members have their 920's solid at 4.2 and beyond. Which is plenty fast.

Corsair is probably the biggest name in PSU's; Renowned for quality and warranty. Not so much for customer service, in my experience. But chances are you will never need to return the PSU unless it's DOA, so don't let that deter you in the slightest. I can also gladly suggest Ultra's PSU's. They're a bit expensive, though.

Other brands I would trust:

Antec (higher wattage. Not had any dealings/experience with their low wattage)

PC Power and Cooling <--- VERY expensive. But quality reflects price.

SeaSonic USA <--- Who I've come to like again. From what I had seen, they weren't doing too hot a while back. But they're doing excellent once more! (So you know, SeaSonic is the OEM producer for more than half of the PSU's you see)

With the entire 920 vs 930 I am not worried that much their is only a $20 difference between them.

what are your opinions on a power supply that has a modular style? to keep all those chords out of the picture. Something like this or this

And would this be an appropriate level of ram to overclock up to higher speeds so I don't need to spend extra money on PS16000?

I'd go with the Corsair if it had to be out of the two of those. I have fairly strict brand preferences so my opinion may not be the best to take. I'm sure there are other great power supplies out there for less, but I would not "settle for less" than a Corsair. If that makes any sense.

Pertaining to my strict brand filters, I only use OCZ on Evga boards. OCZ has proven itself to work in sync well with Nvidia chipsets.

OCZ Gold PC3-12800

EDIT: oh hahaha. Gibson did this earlier. I called the X58 chipset a "Nvidia chipset". My mistake, it's an Intel chipset. I meant to say Evga, but like most, when I hear Evga, I immediately associate the name to Nvidia products as that's mostly what they make.

Back
Top Bottom