just installed windows xp, i have no sound....

rolledthatho

Solid State Member
i just today installed windows xp and got my wireless card working to get on the internet. immediately i checked my sound using youtube. and nothing, then i check aim to here if i could hear an IM sound anytime i send a aim message some internal buzz/beep (almost sounds like an error beep) 9+thing in my PC beeps but no sound, so i go to my accessories and try to click on volume properties... "there are no active mixer devices available to install mixer devices go to control panel > click printers and other hardware > then add hardware. this program will now close."

so i did that but i saw nothing about speakers or sound. just mouse, keyboard, phone and modem, game controllers etc...

how can i have sound back! ps im not very pc literate so feel free to break it down for me, i wont be offended

The first obvious question concerns the type of sound whether onboard sound where you plug the speakers into the rear of the board or do you have a separare sound card installed in an expansion slot? When reinstalling Windows you also have to see everything redone like video, sound, softwares, games, and certainly any drivers and software for the main board itself.

You memory controllers, onboard video/sound if used, and anything else like onboard Lan count on the options seen on the software cd that comes with the board if in a custom build or recovery disks for one prebuilt. For a prebuilt machine like an HP model you would simply go to the driver download page of their support section. For a custom case you simply run the installation disks for any separate hardwares like a sound card added onto the basic system.

It sounds like you need to install the drivers for your sound. if you have on-board sound, you will more than likely need to install the motherboard chipset drivers as they are usually included with them. The drivers are the installation CD that came with the motherboard or you can get them from the manufacturer's site.
If it's an add in card such as a Creative card, you can get the latest drivers from their website.

first, thanks for your help but like i said im very PC illiterate so... this computer was built by my friend, it came with no disks, i am familiar with downloading drivers because thats what i had to do for my wireless internet card, as for the type of speakers.. i dont really know, there is a power cord, and a cord that goes into the back of the PC (green) like you referred to. so what does this mean? do i need to install a driver? if i dont know who makes (or what model) my sound card is. then how would i fix this problem, anyway to tell?

thanks again

To find out what your system has as far as hardware is concerned, you can download and run either of these two utilities:

PC Wizard

Belarc Advisor

They will scan and analyze your system and tell you what is inside your computer.

im downloading the first one right now, if your gonna be online a bit longer and you want to him me up on aim beachbum32785 might be easier to figure this all out...

thanks

One small free System Info for Windows(SIW) tool will provide a complete breakdown on both hardwares and softwares alike installed on a system. You simply download it to a folder and double click on the file itself. http://www.gtopala.com/

I use that quite on old systems being restored to find out a great deal on what will be needed. There's a main column on the left for each catagory. That will provide a lot more then the PC Wizard 2008 program without any direct installation needed.

i also downloaded that one dodge, and on the left column there is software and hardware etc.. i see nothing about sound

That sounds like onboard since you weren't given any disks for a separate card. When you go the hardware section click on the plus sign for
devices.

That will open up what looks like the device manager and look under "sound, video, and game controllers" to see if anything has a yellow mark on it. That will indicate the onboard audio chip itself.

When simply clicking the one for motherboard that will list the make and model number for the board used there.

That sounds like onboard since you weren't given any disks for a separate card. When you go the hardware section click on the plus sign for
devices.

That will open up what looks like the device manager and look under "sound, video, and game controllers" to see if anything has a yellow mark on it. That will indicate the onboard audio chip itself.

When simply clicking the one for motherboard that will list the make and model number for the board used there.

ok under devices i see all the sound stuff like you mentioned, no yellow marks, just tons of audio stuff like: audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, media control drivers, microsoft kernel, midi, standard game port, etc....which one would i analyze to see what i need?

ok wait, on that program there were no yellow marks.. but on device manager there are some yellow exclamation points. feel free to im me on beachbum32785 if anyone is gonna be online in the next bit.

this is what i see...

tits.jpg

Back
Top Bottom