Just got a free pc, BUT....

SirVal

In Runtime
Well I just got a pc given to me by a member of the family, it's a dell dimension 8100. The RAM is a pathetic 128mb, and I want to upgrade to 512, it's stupid though it only takes pc800 ram, which is SO expensive, It costs $400 for a stick of 512mb, and that is a definate no.
I was thinking about buying a cheap motherboard and just swapping it all over, what does everyone think?

Cheers

I don't know about Dell but some brands don't let u change any hardware. But if u change the mobo then the BIOS will change too so it should work. But u might want to check from the manufacturer before buying anything.

You could buy another 128MB stick... it's Rambus an this thing is powerful in transfers. I'v got some used P4 mobo that has rambus an it's sold for $10

Just found 512mb REAL cheap on ebay :D It'll go up i reckon, but to nowhere near the £200 i would be paying!

rambus memory is much more performent than a single PC3200 or PC4200...maybe even more than PC5400!

if you change the MOBO you have to change the PSU too. don't dell make them have a special fit to each other.

:) Think so Dishdog, I'm not changing the mobo anymore.
I've found an upgrade site which sells a socket 478 adaptor which means I can upgrade to a much better proccessor, :D w00t. Not bad for a free pc huh?

Oh too true :)
My aunty thought it was at the end of the line, would barely get past the WINDOWS loading screen, a quick reformat later, it's working like a charm.

Like me that had the Athlon 1000=. Blown up PSU...had to change it. I have to change it again...it doesn't produce enough power. (250W)

Back
Top Bottom