Jumpers

HelloGoodbye

Baseband Member
Could someone give me a clue as to how jumpers work, or do i not need to use them?? Im building my own computer but i dont know as much as to how jumpers work?

Any advice would be very grateful!

well if you're building a computer then u wont need to know because computers dont really use them anymore except to clear the cmos which u never need to do but i cant be entirely sure because i dont know to much about them either but im 99% sure lol

a jumper is a little plastic piece with metal contacts inside, and you put it over 2 pins on the motherboard and it "jumps" or connects the 2 pins. and the motherboard recognizes that when those 2 pins are connected a certain setting takes effect. and yes you will need to know about them, they are used on hard drives and optical drives, and still on motherboards.

ok thanks guys, i will list what i've got for my comp and see if i will need them!

Asus A8N-E Motherboard
160GB Sata Cavier Hard Drive
Sony Dual Layer CD/DVD Rom
ATI X800XL 256MB PCI-E
AMD Venice 3500+ Processor
1GB Crucial PC3200 Memory

will i need to sort of jumpers for that??

also, could i overclock my bad boy processor?? what would the best solution be for overclocking it, but not by too much!

You might need to know about jumpers when it comes to your disc drives, they have a master and a slave jumper on them. You will want to set your primary disc drive to the master and the secondary drive(if you have one) to the slave drive.

don't worry about the jumpers too much.....they're a piece of cake, you just have to make sure they are in the right settings. that will all be in your documentation.
btw, you can overclock that processor like a mofo, and you have an asus board that should have the "easy overclock" feature, so it shouldn't be hard

Back
Top Bottom