JPEGs on CD-RW are corrupt

justinopareja

Beta member
I just got back from a trip to Europe, was using my digital camera and downloading to a CD-RW at Internet cafes when the card got full. I did it three times, the first two worked ok. The last one appeared to work ok (I was able to read the JPEGs off the CD after burning at the Internet cafe), but after bringing the disc home, I cannot read that last directory. I am not sure if the data is corrupt or the disc was somehow damaged. If the disc was damaged, I findit strange that only that directory is affected and the other 2 are perfectly ok. I tried to repair the disc with a kit I bought. It seemed to remove the scratches but the disc does not read any better. Some programs try to read each JPEG and just fail. Other programs, keep trying to read the JPEG, and sometimes get half of it, sometimes all of it, sometimes none. IN this case, it takes a very long time to read each file (a few min). It almost seems like the program is repeteadly trying to the same sector when it fails to read it correctly the first time. Does this sound like corrupt data or disc damage? Either way, is there anything I can do? Thank

As much as CD-RW are rewritable... I find them to fail after 2/3 times... I would only RW once.

Repair kit would work for scratches but if the data is damaged through buring then I dont think there is a fix... CDs use pits/ lands and if the pits/lands are burnt wrong your screwed... its a laser that burns the data(patterns) so cant really fix that.

But maybe an expert in CD repairs may know otherwise, I hope :cool:

CD/DVD get scratched due to regular use. You can use following methods to recover data. I assure you that after using these methods, you will have all your data.

1. Clean the CD/DVD properly as dust can be a reason.
2. Use a CD/DVD writer instead a CD/DVD reader device for such corrupted disks, because DVD writer are more powerful than DVD reader.
3. If nothing happens, then you should opt for a third party data recovery software. This is the best way to recover data from CD/DVD/Blue-Ray disks.

You may also apply following instrument, in case guide on above doesn't work https://www.repairtoolbox.com/cdfreerepair.html CD Repair Toolbox Free

Did you try the toothpaste trick to clean the dvd? In my opinion it is much more effective than disc repair kits. Here are the steps:
1) put a pea sized amount of PLAIN WHITE toothpaste on the disc
2) rub the toothpaste into the disc covering the whole surface
3) wash the toothpaste off with normal tap water
4) dry the disc obviously
5) done!

Note: I'm not joking, this actually works :)

Just be careful when you're cleaning the scratches off the disc, if the scratches are deep then they may have gone right through the protective layer. In this case, if you clean the disc to the point all the scratches are gone... you're rubbing raw media, which isn't going to do anything good for your photos.

If none of the other solutions work there is (free) forensic imaging and analysis software that you could try, it might have luck with damaged files where other software would not.

Copy the files you can on to your PC, even if there corrupted and like yami says use a software to try and repair the files.

Back
Top Bottom