Java JDK/SDK version question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornNut

In Runtime
I am buidling upon existing java/jsp based code. It was developed using Java's 1.4.2_08 SDK. It does not mesh well with Java's 1.5 SDK.

However, the 1.4.2_10 SDK is far more easier to install than the elde, 1.4.2_08 version.

How likely is that we will run into development problems???

I understand that there is a strong possiblity of running into problems if we use the 1.5_ SDK, but will there be any with 1.4.2_10?

Thanks.

The legacy software WILL NOT work for 1.5. It is a new, untested version of the Java SDK. It is not accepted in the programmer's world yet.

APIs such as Apache Tomcat do not even support 1.5.

It is well known that the 1.5 JDK is not the current norm and does not work for all APIs, etc.

My question is would the same legacy problems occur with the minor update from 1.4.2_08 to 1.4.2_10.

What doesn't work? I've been using 1.5 since last year. The only thing I can think of is the compiler throwing warnings for using deprecated container classes, which is an easy problem to fix.

It is well known that the 1.5 JDK is not the current norm
The current norm for what? Several of the projects I've worked on in the past year have been specifically developed for 1.5.

Personally, I'd use 1.5 and correct any problems. However, if you don't want to do that, just install 1.4.2_08. I've had no problems installing any version from 1.1 to 1.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom