japan gets 1.6Gb/s

esa193

Fully Optimized
not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://gizmodo.com/360171/japans-kizuna-satellite-to-beam-souped-up-internet-connection-back-home

Japan is launching the Kizuna satellite, which will bring high-speed internet access to Japan's remote territories and neighboring countries, as well as providing continuous networking in case of emergency. The $342 million project, spearheaded by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), is expected to culminate in internet connections reaching speeds of 1.2Gbps, dwarfing current ADSL connections that typically allow data transfer to occur at below 8 Mbps. Users will need to install an antenna to be able to receive a signal, but for those speeds, I'd be willing to trade in a pound of my very own flesh.

Kizuna%20Schem%20GI.jpg

Kizuna is expected to go live in July following a setup process once it is in position, but a speed boost is not the only aim of the game. Having a satellite in space means natural disasters on Earth are not going to have any ramifications on the country's connectivity, which can be imperative in disaster zones. If all should go well, expect such an infrastructure to hit the mainstream. Does that mean everyone will have a 1.2Gbps connection? Will outages become a thing of the past? Does Simba eventually become a good leader? The answers come in July, when the service rolls out.

meant 1.2 not 1.6 my bad

The latency's of satalite are huge in comparison to DSL, Cable and Leased lines. This is nice, but will not work well for many applications.

Wow thats very cool. it will probably be a little while before the rest of the world catch up though!

No offense to US, but knowing how they, us I guess (even though I'm not American) like to be #1, I'm sure there will be something similar to that here in no time. Plus US has plenty of technology, we'll catch up soon. But like David said, the rest of the world will take a while.

That's what I was going to say. No matter how fast the connection is, there will still be that huge 2,000+ ping time.

ping that bad shit was is ping so bad
also whats better lower ping or faster dl speeds

I'm sure as technology advances they'll be able to find an area in between with faster connections all the while having low pings.

Well, even if it was laser beams there would still be ping. Radio waves and laser beams travel at the same speed... There is no way to solve the ping with a satelite in space, unless we break the speed of light... Laser beams would have different bandwidth, for faster speed, but not faster ping.

Back
Top Bottom