I've got it, finally. (Solution to all DRM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmammen said:
i think life would be a **** hole then......

and why turn back the wheels of technology General??? You are on the TECH FORUMS for a reason arent you??

other then to turn everyone into a vinyl loving, microsoft hating robot??

but i do admire your oppinnion of the worlds technology....im not going to say you dont have the right to say what you want....

Some things are better off not "improved" ...

@Crysalis - I guess if you tried to put the compressed FILE on the vinyl, it would carve a hole instead of a track, nooks, etc. But when you decode the file, and you hear it through your sound card, it's analog, and that signal, along with all it's quality problems, can easily be put on vinyl.

wait a sec... in the other thread, you're getting on people about being excited over old technology... how old is vinyl now? Over 30 years old?

...hmmm

EDIT: I'm not talking compression in terms of Mp3... I'm talking in terms of actual compression of audio signals... literally smashing the dynamics and countering it with boosted gain.

EDIT2: The dynamics are just not able to be put on vinyl. I'm not saying those dynamics are good, it just wouldn't happen. Vinyl press can translate audio and "carve" it like you said, but when the d. range is so high, it will just put a hole right through it. But what do I know...

Crysalis said:
wait a sec... in the other thread, you're getting on people about being excited over old technology... how old is vinyl now? Over 30 years old?

...hmmm

EDIT: I'm not talking compression in terms of Mp3... I'm talking in terms of actual compression of audio signals... literally smashing the dynamics and countering it with boosted gain.

The only old technologies I like are ones that are better than the new stuff ... for instance, when LCD's started becoming popular with desktop computers, they sucked. I was all about CRT's back then. Now that LCD's are comparable to CRT's, I'm all about LCD's due to their small size and weight, and pretty much equal quality.

Compressed MP3's sound like trash, no matter what player you have. I'm not completely turned away from vinyl yet, so I'm like in between ... vinyl is awesome, but so is FLAC. :confused:

Film is good, but digital photography is more convenient and pretty good quality.

I don't know, it's hard to explain. But I do know that adding bling to a cheesy operating system for old people and soccer moms is not a good reason to buy it.

Anyway, I don't really understand what you're talking about with the boosted gain and smashed dynamics, maybe I need to read more about this since I feel like a total n00b when you talk about audio.

EDIT: After reading your second edit, I see what you mean. You're absolutely right, that could cause problems... but who needs all those dynamics anyway. ;) All the good music is already written, and most of it is on vinyl anyway. :p

EDIT EDIT: They could just make thicker vinyls, and longer needles. :p

@ General and EVERYONE who listens to the radio. This is what radio stations do to your music... compress it outrageously. I recreated what modern day radio stations and some studios do to music. They have to do it, but its horrible. This is what I'm talking about when i say smashed. If you have any ears at all, you will definitely notice a difference. If you were to transfer the smashed version to a vinyl (using a press), you would end up with a small circlular label as it would carve the whole disc to pieces.

I dont care if you like the song or not... I just picked one that would show the dynamics best.

Here is the normal mp3:

Click here

Here is the smashed version:

Click here

Compressed MP3's sound like trash, no matter what player you have. I'm not completely turned away from vinyl yet, so I'm like in between ... vinyl is awesome, but so is FLAC
Well.....yeah compressed MP3's sound like trash....mp3s in general are trash, although, considering some of the music I get is hard to obtain, I'm content with 192kbps sometimes. If I get 129kbps I want to kill myself, but if that's all I can get then that's cool.

FLAC is definitely nice, and how about ape? Don't both of those work on the same principle of better compression with no audio quality loss?

@Crysalis - Earlier, I was actually referring to an article I thought you had actually linked me once before. They were using the last red hot chili peppers album as an example. When looking at the CD version it was compressed like you wouldn't believe. They showed one part in particular where there was SUPPOSED to be a build up of the drums and guitars but it all just sounds equally loud.

Then they showed the waveform of the vinyl version and it wasn't nearly as compressed and actually had dynamics to it. So in the case I was referring to the vinyl actually had a lot more dynamic headroom than the CD.

For anyone else, in regards to what crysalis posted above, I think this particular article has some good words to say on that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Love wiki ;)

Nubius said:
Well.....yeah compressed MP3's sound like trash....mp3s in general are trash, although, considering some of the music I get is hard to obtain, I'm content with 192kbps sometimes. If I get 129kbps I want to kill myself, but if that's all I can get then that's cool.

FLAC is definitely nice, and how about ape? Don't both of those work on the same principle of better compression with no audio quality loss?

Yeah, 192kbps VBR MP3's are tolerable, but anything less than that just makes me want to stab myself in the eye and pour salt in the wound.

I don't know much about ape, from the looks of it, it's the same principle - lossless compression. FLAC is more popular, though.

FLAC, AIFF, ape, as long as it's lossless, it usually sounds about the same.

They were using the last red hot chili peppers album as an example.
Probably not a good example since that is going to sound like crap no matter what format it is in. :p

@General, since you have a 360, do you know if the 360 will stream FLAC files from the PC?

I am planning on going back through all my CD's and redoing them all into a losses format. FLAC would be my preference, but I listen to most all my music through my stereo streamed through the 360. If it doesn't work, I was planning on just going with WMA Lossless.

idiotec said:
Probably not a good example since that is going to sound like crap no matter what format it is in. :p

@General, since you have a 360, do you know if the 360 will stream FLAC files from the PC?

I am planning on going back through all my CD's and redoing them all into a losses format. FLAC would be my preference, but I listen to most all my music through my stereo streamed through the 360. If it doesn't work, I was planning on just going with WMA Lossless.

I think you can use Transcode360 to do that, but it defeats the purpose, as it transcodes it to a lossy format. :(

The General said:
I think you can use Transcode360 to do that, but it defeats the purpose, as it transcodes it to a lossy format. :(
Yeah, that would suck.

I'll probably just end up going WMA so it will be compatible. Should be fine. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom