IT security professionals in demand in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
after i get all my networking education done, i wouldn't mind jumping in on the security boat. Finding a job in security could be tough though. I would definately want to get the cissp but it requires 10 years exp in security.

lol, maybe ill just go for the ccie.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;923889191;fp;16;fpid;0

Michael Crawford

01/12/2005 11:44:37

Unprecedented demand for IT security professionals has employers fighting to retain talent.

This is particularly true for Certified Information Systems Security Professionals (CISSP), according to the latest market trends report from Ambition.

In fact, certified IT workers are in such high demand that some employers have stopped including them in staff development programs fearing they will be better prepared to walk out the door, Ambition technology director Jane Bianchini said.

This demand, which has dominated 2005 recruiting, will continue in 2006.

Bianchini said organizations' use of data for competitive advantage has driven demand, along with compliance and governance.

"I think with the amount of information now being extracted from data, intellectual property (IP) is starting to become quite important. Organizations want to protect IP so there is more of an awareness of data protection," she said.

"Organizations are using data to extract key decisions about the marketplace and it is critical there are no leaks.

"While companies want to retain the necessary talent to protect IP, they are not always willing to pay the salaries being sought by IT security professionals. This has led to workaround solutions, but the employment market is not yielding to the pressure."

According to Bianchini, salary increases across the board were few and far between. Contractor roles have shown little increase in salary (about 0.5 percent) but project managers have seen their salaries increase 16 percent.

Other skills in high demand are .Net and Java and J2EE.

Bianchini said the demand for specialized database administrators in the banking and finance world is comparable with the shortages in .Net, java and J2EE.

"Organizations are hiring multiples of Java developers because of this shortfall and it is all driven by the evolution of CRM systems to a Web-enabled front-end and business process re-engineering ... the market now is caught between the latter two stages," she added.

csamuels said:
after i get all my networking education done, i wouldn't mind jumping in on the security boat. Finding a job in security could be tough though. I would definately want to get the cissp but it requires 10 years exp in security.

lol, maybe ill just go for the ccie.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;923889191;fp;16;fpid;0

Michael Crawford

01/12/2005 11:44:37

Unprecedented demand for IT security professionals has employers fighting to retain talent.

This is particularly true for Certified Information Systems Security Professionals (CISSP), according to the latest market trends report from Ambition.

In fact, certified IT workers are in such high demand that some employers have stopped including them in staff development programs fearing they will be better prepared to walk out the door, Ambition technology director Jane Bianchini said.

This demand, which has dominated 2005 recruiting, will continue in 2006.

Bianchini said organizations' use of data for competitive advantage has driven demand, along with compliance and governance.

"I think with the amount of information now being extracted from data, intellectual property (IP) is starting to become quite important. Organizations want to protect IP so there is more of an awareness of data protection," she said.

"Organizations are using data to extract key decisions about the marketplace and it is critical there are no leaks.

"While companies want to retain the necessary talent to protect IP, they are not always willing to pay the salaries being sought by IT security professionals. This has led to workaround solutions, but the employment market is not yielding to the pressure."

According to Bianchini, salary increases across the board were few and far between. Contractor roles have shown little increase in salary (about 0.5 percent) but project managers have seen their salaries increase 16 percent.

Other skills in high demand are .Net and Java and J2EE.

Bianchini said the demand for specialized database administrators in the banking and finance world is comparable with the shortages in .Net, java and J2EE.

"Organizations are hiring multiples of Java developers because of this shortfall and it is all driven by the evolution of CRM systems to a Web-enabled front-end and business process re-engineering ... the market now is caught between the latter two stages," she added.

Thats a good point. Most people who get hired as security professionals usually have a strong education in math and engineering as it is used very much in the actual security field. As far as I know CCIE is tougher to achieve then the cisco security cert.

You'll only be in demand if you have like 5+ years working in the security field. Of course, no one hires people in the security field without experience, even if you want to be in that field and are willing to learn what needs to be learned! No wonder they report that there's a supposedly "lack" of IT professionals.

elitesoldier said:
You'll only be in demand if you have like 5+ years working in the security field. Of course, no one hires people in the security field without experience, even if you want to be in that field and are willing to learn what needs to be learned! No wonder they report that there's a supposedly "lack" of IT professionals.

Lack of IT Professionals? I have never heard that. All the reports I have looked at show that there are an abundance of IT professionals that is why it is so hard to come by a job. Most under grads dont normally go into IT because of this reason. Hopefully we will see a lot more engineers as people smarten up and get an education that will get them somewhere in the future :).

yea thats the thing, there is in fact ALOT of people who want to be in the IT field but they do not hire them because of lack of experience. I rarely see any job openings that are like "entry-level" quality. Infact theres some job offering that only care about experience and don't even mention stuff like a college degree. Look for yourself, www.dice.com.

Yeah I know, thats because a college education is assumed for the position, meaning there would be no way you could have experience without a degree anyways so why mention it? The fact is there are a lot of people qualified for IT and even more that are not qualified (2 year degrees etc) and hardly anyone gets in nowadays. When I first started college I said to myself I want a job when I get out. So I chose something unique that not a lot of people have. People need to use their heads when getting a degree. Getting a degree in something that 200,000 unemployed people already have is not smart.

But none the less you bring up many good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom