It is the "Ping" again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

kukuhead

Baseband Member
Ok, my PC (XP pro) is connected to a switch n to my win2k server.
It grap IP address from the server and also goes to the Internet thru the same Proxy server.
On the Server, i can ping any website by name and also ping my XP pro. But on my XP pro, i can ping all address by IP but not hst name. The only host name i can ping is the DC also acting as the DHCP, DNS, Proxy server.
What is wrong?

Can you resolve host names at all? Kind of a dumb question.but hey..haha..I assume if you cant ping a host by a name you for sure cant surf any websites. What I recommend is that you write down all the IP's of the most visited websites and access the net that way...lol..j/k

On the real though..I assume this XP Pro machine is getting all its info from that main server since it is running all those roles. Sounds like DNS is not configured correctly. Have you configured your DNS foward lookup zones to point to the external ISP DNS address so that if the DNS doesnt have the domain name stored it can search that ISP DNS look-up?

I have check but i am not able to enable forwarder as this is a root server. So what can be wrong??

Yes, the IPconfig of it is :
IPadress: 192.168.1.5 (given by DHCP)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 192.168.1.1
DHCP:192.168.1.1

Thanks

What the hell is ping!?! I've been wondering about that for quite a while. All I know is that when I played Call of Duty the servers with the lowest ping were better. They were less laggy.

So how does ping affect your comp and gaming?

Ping is a computer network tool used on TCP/IP networks (such as the Internet). It provides a basic test of whether a particular host is operating properly and is reachable on the network from the testing host. It also provides estimates of the round-trip time and packet loss rate between the hosts. It works by sending ICMP packets to the target host and listening for replies.

the faster the reply the better.

so if you are gaming online a ping of 30 to 50 would be very good , if you get to 100 its still playable but onlineshooters wont be fun if it is a lot higher then that.

exactly , the higher the ping the longer the packages need.

i got no clue if your provider or internet connec uses QOS but tweaking that will usually improve your ping.

dont turn it off though or it will use the default setting.you have to enter a new value,not sure atm how to do it,would have to look it up myself.
i am sure some other member can help you out on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom