IT career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I just graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Information Technology. I was wondering what the best career path / decision(s) is for me right now? Should I be doing some kind of certification? If so, which?

By the way I couldnt figure out the costs of any of these certifications from the websites. I went to Microsoft and Oracle (and I think IBM) to find out the costs of doing their certificate programs, and it didnt give me any information about the costs. Equally as important, it didnt give me any kind of indication about how helpful these courses are in getting jobs later on.

Can anyone advise? Much appreciated!

Thanks! :D

Being employed in the field is the best thing for you right now. Experience is Golden. Besides, you'll prolly be able to get the company to pay for your certs. Get training for your certs tho, aviod the 1-2 week bootcamps.

Education is nowhere near as important as experience. If you can show potential employers your know your stuff, certs and degrees are "nice-to-haves."

Networking (HUGE, all of my decent prospects have come from an acquantince that knew a guy that knows a guy) and my degree has gotten my foot in the door but my experience is what has wowed the employers.

Then once you're in most of the time employers will be more than happy to pay your way through specialized certs and courses if it suits their needs for you to know those skills.

I'd agree with everyone else. Get your foot in the door somewhere and start getting experience. Some jobs may require you learn additional jobs/tasks which might lead to them payinf for your certifications. Thats what has happened to me. I've been at my current job for a few years now and picked up 2 certifications and a couple certificates of completions.

great. so now that it seems getting that first job is the most important thing, let me ask how does one do that? that first most important job, which also seems like the most difficult to attain. can anyone advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom