IT Associate vs Bachelors degree

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Right now, I am at an community college, and my major right now is IT, but its towards an Associates degree. When I transfer to an University, should I stay on Associates or transfer to an Bachelors?
Some people told me that when it comes to computers, it doesn't really matter as you can prove that you can do the given task.
Also, when I finish the Associates, can I still get the Bachelors by doing the remaining courses or do I have to start over?

What do you guys recommend me doing? I have been going to community college for 1 year, and only have 3 classes completed (10 credits) for this major*, and I need a total of 63 credit (seems impossible to do taking 8 classes a year for 2 years).
How many classes do you guys take for one semester?

*note - 2 classes were classes that I have to take because I didnt have an high enough score on the Accuplacer (non-transferable), got an D on one class (for major), so I gotta take it again, and took 2 classes that has nothing to do with my major.

Full time student, and I take 4 classes a semester (3-4 credits each). Totaling for 8 classes a year.

I suggest you go and talk to your transfer department at your current college.
Pick a college that you would think about going to, if you were to finish it off with a bachelors degree. They will be able to tell you what courses you are currently taking that will transfer into the next college.
Otherwise you will have to start over if they do not transfer.

I have heard some people tell me when it comes to the computer field you don't even need a degree. So when it comes down to what type of degree you should get..
I would say go for bachelors, it looks better on a resume. Also as of right now... it is a VERY good time to be in school and not looking for a job.

EDIT:
8 credits is full time? Wow.. At my college it's 12.

Yeah, that is why I am thinking of just going with associates, its cheaper if the degree doesnt matter in the computer field.
no, 8 credits is not full time. 4 (classes) x 3 (credits) = 12 credits per semester.

Yeah, that is why I am thinking of just going with associates, its cheaper if the degree doesnt matter in the computer field.
no, 8 credits is not full time. 4 (classes) x 3 (credits) = 12 credits per semester.

My mistake I read to quickly, you said totaling 8 classes not credits.:eek:

Yeah that is very true, also depending on what type of school you are attending. (community, private).

OK, Here's my view

college certificate/course qualification !> degree.
if you get a degree from a university you'll be a bachelor of Science, this will mean that you are a professional, it's a title, a course in computers where you get a certificate of attendance at the end is not as good as this, it's not internationally respected, and it doesn't transfer to other jobs.

you'll find that if you have a degree it opens up a lot of jobs, because more than proving that you know a lot about computers, it proves that you can stay the course for the three years, it proves your time management skills, independant learning etc. basic skills that are fundamental to an job.

you are right in one thing, in computers, it doesn't matter if you've got a degree, but this is true of every job.

so long as you can do the work that you are tasked with, nobody really gives a damn about what level of education you have...

the thing is that having a degree helps you get the job in the first place so that you can be tasked with the work

Well most of if not all of your associates classes will transfer towards a bachelors degree if you decide to transfer. I recommend you finish your associates first and then go for your bachelors since it is way cheaper for classes at a community college compared to a university if that is the way you plan to go. Some colleges will also guarantee that all of your credits will transfer if you complete the degree. They will take all of them as one bunch since you finished it as a whole. Most of the time if you don't complete your degree they will request your transcripts and then evaluate them and some of them might not transfer in.

Also you should look into certificates as well because as root said those are more likely to get you a job than just a degree. You can also look at the curriculum cuz some colleges offer certifications as part of the course work so if you can find a college that offers them you can kill 2 birds with 2 stone.

So when I go look for a job when I am out of college, will the Bachelors degree help me get a job faster than an Associates degree?
Or will they see that I have an degree in IT, and ask me for an interview for the position I am looking at?

put it this way.

you're looking at a stack of CV's we'll say 50, you want to be in the 5 that they might pick out for an actual interview,

you might get lucky, but lets be fair, more than 10% of the population has a proper bachelors degree, so your chances of being the CV that literally shines out above all others is already diminished.

even if you get to interview,
imagine that you're an interviewer, you get two candidates, who have the same personality, same kind of team skills, same 'on the job' experience.

one has an associates degree, (not recognised internationally), one has the real deal, a proper bachelors degree, which would you pick?

other things to consider are professional organisations.
I for example have a bachelors degree in Engineering (BEng) professionally I'm an engineer, it's a recognised title, it enables me to countersign official documents -such as passport applications.
it enables me to join professional organisations, like the Institute of Electronic Engineers, (IEE), Now, IET (Institute of Engineering Technology). -though for that you have to get a degree from an accredited university.

real degrees can get you more than just a job, associate degrees handed out by community colleges cannot.

Back
Top Bottom