It all started with cmos checksum error

thesinter

Baseband Member
Last night I was back from the store ready to test a new game, I pulled out my game, pressed the DVD eject button, waited, and then nothing happened. I then tried to eject again, nothing happened. I then tried to eject my CD drive, same problem. I thought to myself that this was just going to be an easy fix. I unplugged my cables from both drives, blew them off, and then placed them back.

As I rebooted my computer, I noticed that the start-up process stayed on my bios screen for a little longer than usual. The process continued onto the windows loading screen, my computer was stuck on the windows starting screen. I tried re-wiring some cables and powered up my computer again, same thing kept happening. I thought it could have been my hard drive that I had just bought, so i unhooked it to make sure everything was ok. Nothing seemed wrong with it.

I once again powerd up my computer, but this time I was greeted with the cmos checksum error. I did a little research and found out that my mother board battery may have gone out. I purchased a new one, but when I powered up my computer again I had now luck, and was greeted with the mos checksum error.

I then decided to take my computer apart, and airdust it off. I then put it back together, and now my monitor will not recognize my video card. I tried another video card, still the same problem.

IN A NUTSHELL

Disc drives failed
Re-wired disc-drives
Cmos checksum error
Replace Mother board battery
Cmos checksum error again
Re-Wire/airdust computer
No Video card recogniztion

ALSO- I replaced harddrive with another, and still had the same problem.

My conclusion: My mother board is broken, but that is just a guess

I can usually fix most of my computer problems myself, but I'm stuck. I feel so mentally beat up.

Well, start off with just the basics. Hard drive, memory, video card, CDROM. Double check all connections and wires. Make sure the memory is fully seated. You could even pop them out and then reinstall them. Sometimes a little corrosion builds up on the contacts and just the act of removing them is enough to break the resistance. When you boot up, enter the BIOS and load the fail safe defaults. That should at least get you up and going.

Does it beep at start-up?

At the moment, I can't even see my bios screen. I have a nvidia 9600, and after replugging everything in, I got my PC to start up again, but I can't get it to recognize any of my video inputs (there is not a onboard video card on the mother board). Also I switched video cards, and still had the same problem.

NOTE: I reset bios each time i change hardware.
Current State: PC will respond when i press the power button, but I can't get any video.

I think I am going to get my old mother board out, and try playing around with the hardware if I don't get a response in the next couple of hours.

Was there by chance a thunderstorm in your area at the time this happened?
Sounds like you took a strike to me.

Was there by chance a thunderstorm in your area at the time this happened?
Sounds like you took a strike to me.

Why yes there was! Tornado Warning also actually :eek:

But as i explained before, I was able to play on it, but the disc drives were not working. Then i tried to fix that, and everything went to hell. What I'm trying to say is, If it did get hit, wouldn't my computer just crash all at once.

Nope. I used to install alarm systems and some when hit would just die a piece at a time.

Well, start off with just the basics. Hard drive, memory, video card, CDROM. Double check all connections and wires. Make sure the memory is fully seated. You could even pop them out and then reinstall them. Sometimes a little corrosion builds up on the contacts and just the act of removing them is enough to break the resistance. When you boot up, enter the BIOS and load the fail safe defaults. That should at least get you up and going.

Does it beep at start-up?

Sorry I never answered your question, but there is no beep, no bios screen, and no video.

I switched out for another motherboard, and a whole new set of parts. I have the same problem, no bios, no beep, no video. The power button puts the power supply to work, and all the fans seem to work.

I think I may have two dead motherboards......

Back
Top Bottom