Issues with first build, Please help!

IDreadDawn

Solid State Member
I was hoping to make my first computer and was really excited, and after i put it all together, there was no display on my comp screen, yet my computer was running (all the fans, hd, cd drive, etc)

These are the specs:

Cpu :Amd fx 4100 black edition
Mb: asus M5A78L-M LX
ram:4gb of "strontium" ram (which wasnt on the mb ram compatibility list but im guessing its fine)
the psu give out 550w of power, but it says it does it with 420w and 130w? (not sure how this works, im happy to answer questions)
havent gotten a graphics card for it jet (thank god)

Do you have power plugged in to the 4 pin power connector just above the cpu?

May want to try different ram or try one stick at a time to see if ram good.

It won't power on without the 4pin power so I doubt he has that unplugged.

It shouldn't be the ram as it would bleep, but it could be, try reseating the CPU

I seem to remember forgetting to plug that plug in more than once on different systems and they all powered up. It just doesn't do anything else.

As has been said, reseat the CPU. One time that was my issue, it was sitting off the pins just slightly.

I'm pretty sure I have plugged all the cables in correctly, but i have no speaker to hear if anything is wrong with the ram, and have reseated the cpu a few times but will try when i get back from school today, thanks!

I'm pretty sure I have plugged all the cables in correctly, but i have no speaker to hear if anything is wrong with the ram, and have reseated the cpu a few times but will try when i get back from school today, thanks!

most if not all mobos have an internal speaker that will make a beep only if problems occur

if everything seems to be in place and still nothing on the screen, im guessing it could be a faulty graphics adapter.

That board should have an LED near the memory slots. If it lights up red, there could be an issue with the memory.

I have also seen a bad PSU do this. If the PSU surges the output, the motherboard basically goes into protect mode. All of the fans and lights would come to life but the system wouldn't POST.

Incorrect.

I seem to remember forgetting to plug that plug in more than once on different systems and they all powered up. It just doesn't do anything else.

Correct. The 4 pin/8 pin connector has to be plugged in or it will not boot. It will still turn on, your fans will spin, and you'll have all the fun noises (dvd drives, etc), but it won't boot. That sounds like the issue, but if you're sure that it's plugged in correctly then it could be a faulty power supply as well.

Back
Top Bottom