Issues with computer starting up (graphics card issue possibly)

Azalthas

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I have an inconsistent issue with my computer. The current issue is that the computer boots up then a couple of seconds later it will go into sleep mode by itself and repeats that once more before the computer boots up and I hear the normal start up beep noise however, the monitor displays 'VGA No Signal'.

Computer Specs

Dell Inspiron 545S
Windows Vista Home Basic

Graphics Card
ATI Radeon HD 4350
Current Display Mode: 1024x768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

(from gpu-z software)
512MB memory size
DDR2(Hynix) Memory Type

Additional specs
Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz 2.80GHz
4.00GB RAM
32-bit Operating System

The Long Story

I first noticed something was wrong when the computer started up but the monitor was not displaying anything except "VGA no signal". The computer has a DVI-VGA adapter which links the ATI Radeon graphics card to the VGA cable to my monitor. I reconnected the VGA cable to the built-in Intel graphics card and the monitor display worked again. I then bought a cheap $5 DVI-VGA adapter because I thought the current one was broken and I reconnected the VGA back to the ATI Radeon card via the new DVI-VGA adapter. It worked but then I also tried using the old DVI-VGA adapter and that worked too but then a new issue came up.

I often turn my computer to sleep mode and I noticed it took twice as long for the desktop to enter sleep mode but the monitor display turned off instantly as normal. Shortly after, I tried to turn my computer back on from sleep mode and the monitor display stopped working again showing 'No Signal'.

Another issue that came up was that when I turned on the computer the monitor display would show 'No Signal' and the computer would boot then a few seconds turn off and show the display light of sleep mode then boot again then turn off and do the same thing before finally booting up again but the monitor display would not work at all still.

Potential Reasons for this Issue

I believe it has to do with the graphics card, perhaps it is just too old or maybe the VGA connection or monitor is faulty.

Also, using the ATI Radeon GPU it used to get really noisy (overheating?) as I was running games (on Minecraft or just prolonged usage as I would use the computer everyday for at least 5 hours on average if not more)

My computer is very old, 2009, bought it as a whole computer from a retailer and nothing is modified (apart from the PSU short circuiting and I had to replace it)

The monitor and the power cable connecting it often has issues I'm not sure which of the two is the problem but if I don't wiggle the power cable into the certain position it likes, the monitor won't get power.

The replacement PSU doesn't fit in the case so it is external to the desktop (a PSU that would fit into the case would cost a lot more) which means there is a bigger opening than normal for dust or maybe bugs to damage the internal hardware such as the GPU

Extra information

Of course if I stick to the built-in Intel graphics card there doesn't seem to be much issue using that card but it is much crappier than the ATI Radeon GPU and I can't play much games on it.

I am planning to research and build a budget gaming computer eventually but uni is keeping me busy atm and I need to find a part time job to get some more cash. For now I'd just like to keep using this computer if that's possible because it can handle games on minimum specs at least with the ATI Radeon GPU.

Apologies for the long read but just trying to include everything I can. It seems like this computer is just too old and if I wanted to keep using it I might have to buy a replacement GPU but I'd rather save the money for a new computer if that's the case.

However, if anyone could help advise me and if possible fix this issue, that would be awesome! :)

Have you attempted to reinstall your GPU drivers from AMD's website and see if that helps? That'd be the first thing I'd try.

Also make sure the fans are blown out with canned air to get rid of any dust clogging them up. What are your temps while gaming? Use something like HWMonitor to check them and post a screenshot here.

Hey carnageX thanks for your fast reply :D

So far the computer isn't acting up with the issue. I haven't dared to use the sleep mode function anymore. I just turn it off completely when I need to.

I've downloaded the latest driver for AMD 32-bit Vista version and I'll give it an install when I get around to.

I downloaded the HWMonitor software and it went up to 83C max (out of around 173C) and I could hear the fans blowing really hard.

I was playing Guild Wars 2 and it would do that when I was doing somewhat large scale fights with around 10-15 people fighting a giant. Apologies for not posting a screenshot as you requested as I accidentally closed HWMonitor and forgot to take a screenie.

Just to err on the side of caution, does installing the latest AMD graphics driver for my computer affect it negatively in any way?

Hey carnageX thanks for your fast reply :D

So far the computer isn't acting up with the issue. I haven't dared to use the sleep mode function anymore. I just turn it off completely when I need to.

I've downloaded the latest driver for AMD 32-bit Vista version and I'll give it an install when I get around to.

I downloaded the HWMonitor software and it went up to 83C max (out of around 173C) and I could hear the fans blowing really hard.

I was playing Guild Wars 2 and it would do that when I was doing somewhat large scale fights with around 10-15 people fighting a giant. Apologies for not posting a screenshot as you requested as I accidentally closed HWMonitor and forgot to take a screenie.

Just to err on the side of caution, does installing the latest AMD graphics driver for my computer affect it negatively in any way?

It shouldn't - if it does, you can always roll back to a previous driver version.

Back
Top Bottom