Issue with hard drive and ubuntu

AMDpwnz0r

In Runtime
I have two HDDs in my computer, my 160gb has vista on it, i never used my 80gb one so i decided to put ubuntu on it. It installed fine, but when I restart I get

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

The drive is connected properly in my system, and everything is in Bios seems to be ok. This hard drive has done it before. Think it is shot??

do you have any USB drives installed on the computer? As in a flashdrive, external hard drive...?

It seems like your boot order isn't correct

Not to insult your intelligence, but which do you want to load
Whichever one that is, put it first on the priority list

unplug that external device or go into the boot priority and change them to the one that you wanna boot from ( in this case the Hard drive with Ubuntu on it)

The boot order is correct. When I want to try and load ubuntu, i switch to my 80gb. When i want vista switch to my 160. I will try removing the external and redoing it

Did you install Ubuntu with both drives connected and working?

If so, you probably need to boot from the 160Gb drive. Usually Linux puts a boot program on the primary drive so you can choose at boot, which operating system to boot from.

If you installed Ubuntu on the smaller drive with the windows primary drive disconnected, then the method you describe should work. Although you would have to physically disable the unused drive so that you could boot off of the other. In other words, have only the 160Gb drive connected when you want windows, or have only the smaller drive connected if you want Ubuntu.

Back
Top Bottom