ISPs

SheikZ

Baseband Member
I know that Opera and Firefox are the best out there, but why are there ISPs that you pay for? Is it solely for dial up? or do they do something else?

I have AOL and it seems to increase my internet speed a bit, but I hate it anyway.

most of them are soley for Dial-up, we used to have AOL but have since gotten Fiber optic...and I have not touched aol since...

Those net accelerators don't work. Dialup is slow no matter what so just use what you like.

SheikZ said:
I know that Opera and Firefox are the best out there, but why are there ISPs that you pay for? Is it solely for dial up? or do they do something else?

I have AOL and it seems to increase my internet speed a bit, but I hate it anyway.

What i found helped me when i used dialup was Zonealarm firewall. You can Deny programs access to the internet as it is VERY strict and will tell you every program that is trying to get out. in doing so you can use 100% of your dialup bandwith for the specific application you want to use.

kjman87 said:
most of them are soley for Dial-up, we used to have AOL but have since gotten Fiber optic...and I have not touched aol since...

What do you mean you have Fiber Optic?

Explain a little more please

LambOfGod said:
What do you mean you have Fiber Optic?

Explain a little more please

Sure: Verizon FiOS.
Link: http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/about+fiostv/about+fios.htm

It is a broadband internet connection that actually has incredible bandwidth. What it is a fiber optic cable running through to you house where it goes through a photo diode and amp (which the company I work for produces for Verizon, its awesome, I get to work on this stuff first hand) anyway... it has mulitple magnatudes of bandwidth more than a coax cable...I currently get 5MB/s DL and 2 to 2.5MB/s Upload, and we have the lowest rated FTTH (Fiber to the Home)

the website I linked to you should help a bit to...overall you wont really notice to much of a difference between cable and it just because its really only effecting the upload speed...unless you are in a very dense area where many people are using the internet and thats where the extra bandwidth in the fiber comes in handy...

you can actually get your cable TV, Internet, and Phone all on Fiber now from Verizon (atleast where I live)

Its really cool stuff.

kjman87 said:
Sure: Verizon FiOS.
Link: http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/about+fiostv/about+fios.htm

It is a broadband internet connection that actually has incredible bandwidth. What it is a fiber optic cable running through to you house where it goes through a photo diode and amp (which the company I work for produces for Verizon, its awesome, I get to work on this stuff first hand) anyway... it has mulitple magnatudes of bandwidth more than a coax cable...I currently get 5MB/s DL and 2 to 2.5MB/s Upload, and we have the lowest rated FTTH (Fiber to the Home)

the website I linked to you should help a bit to...overall you wont really notice to much of a difference between cable and it just because its really only effecting the upload speed...unless you are in a very dense area where many people are using the internet and thats where the extra bandwidth in the fiber comes in handy...

you can actually get your cable TV, Internet, and Phone all on Fiber now from Verizon (atleast where I live)

Its really cool stuff.
Sounds nice, I could use the extra upload bandwidth, I can only host a game with 5 or 6 people in Halo before the pings get too high to play. And I'm sure being able to upload more doesn't hurt your torrents at all :p

LambOfGod said:
Very cool, what are the maximum speeds Verison offers?
Why wait? With FiOS, upload pictures and movies in a flash! Serious gamer? We've thought of you too. Play games with the other side of the world as if they were next door... lag-free! With FiOS Packages offering up to 30 Mbps downloads and 5 Mbps uploads (and even higher in some locations), patience is generally the cable user's virtue.
From site^

So about 3.75 MB/s up and 625 KB/s down.

LambOfGod said:
Very cool, what are the maximum speeds Verison offers?

30MB/s Down, 5MB/s up...but thats like business cause its like $150 a month...

15MB/s Down and 2MB/s up (or so they say cause on connection test I get 2.5 up) is $50

and base: which is what I have...cause your never going to get 15mb/s down on anything and we dont have enough computers on our network to warrent 15...

5MB/s Down and 2MB/s Up for $40

but you get disocunts the more stuff you get from them kinda like comcast where it goes to 33 for each if you have phone/internet/TV

kjman87 said:
30MB/s Down, 5MB/s up...but thats like business cause its like $150 a month...

15MB/s Down and 2MB/s up (or so they say cause on connection test I get 2.5 up) is $50

and base: which is what I have...cause your never going to get 15mb/s down on anything and we dont have enough computers on our network to warrent 15...

5MB/s Down and 2MB/s Up for $40

but you get disocunts the more stuff you get from them kinda like comcast where it goes to 33 for each if you have phone/internet/TV
Are you sure it's megabytes not megabits? 'Cause on the site it says Mbps, and a lowercase b usually means bits.

Back
Top Bottom