ISP, computer or game problem?

rhymzo

Beta member
Hello everyone,

First I would like to apologise if I am posting in the wrong section, please move the thread if so, thank you.

I have this problem with (I'm guessing packet loss) certain games. I'll just list examples:

- Call of Duty games (I play 2, 4 and 5 mainly) work without any problems. My ping on German servers is always around 35-50 and I have no connection problems.

- Guild Wars 2 - I have an occasional lag spike here and there, maybe DC once in two months, but nothing serious.

- Maplestory - been playing it for a month, and in the last week or so I've been experiencing some trouble. The game just lags out for up to 2 minutes. Monsters are standing still and nothing is happening. I can pick up items and stuff and then after 2 minutes goes back to normal, but I don't disconnect in the meantime. But this is not so annoying either.

- The real problem is in Aion. I installed it again after 2 years to have some fun with the new updates, but here I get massive lag and I have to manually disconnect myself because everything just stops for more than 5minutes. People running into walls, NPCs non-responsive, skills not working, can't click on items etc. This happens in the first few minutes when I log on. I'm playing on a UK server (where I usually have 50-60 ping).

I have installed Leatrix latency fixer and am using WTFast at the moment, but it doesn't help. It's the same as if I didn't use them.
As I said, I have no problems with CoD (I'm guessing it's using a different system because I never had any ping problems with CoD since 2003). My internet connection doesn't dc or something. Downloading works fine with no interruptions, browsing, watching youtube videos etc. all works okay.

Now I'm wondering where the problem is? My computer never had problems running these games before. I have a 2Mbps connection due to my location, but I've had no problems before when I had a 512kbps connection, everything worked fine. I have a dlink router, but atm I'm the only one connected to it. No other computer is hooked up to it. I've changed my graphics card and motherboard last year.

Also, one thing about my connection. We live in a valley and my ISP provider has a wireless transmitter set up on the top of the hill (it's ~500m away from our house), but I have a full signal (4 green lights, which is max.). Could this be the problem?

Lastly, could it be a game server problem? I've asked myself the same question, but I play with a friend, and he has no problems. I start lagging and DC, but he plays normally and we chat via skype and the connection doesn't get interrupted.

I would blame the ISP on this, but it doesn't explain the CoD games and all other normal functions of my internet connection (browsing, watching videos, downloading), but then again, I have only beginner knowledge in this area so I'm asking for your help here.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays,

Mark

EDIT: Could the router be the problem as well? Do I have to open some ports or something?

EDIT2: Also tried Battleping now, and doesn't help either.

Last edited:
Does your friend use the same ISP as you with the same WISP connection type? If not, then that is the problem. I have a WISP and I have the same issues with their serves not communicating properly to different game servers. Ping won't look like an issue so it should run fine but doesn't.

Does your friend use the same ISP as you with the same WISP connection type? If not, then that is the problem. I have a WISP and I have the same issues with their serves not communicating properly to different game servers. Ping won't look like an issue so it should run fine but doesn't.

Thanks for the reply, but I feared this answer :| Well, I guess I'm stuck with this for the time being. Nothing else is available in this area so I'm going to have to wait till a new provider is available here.

Note: When I use the /ping command in Aion when I lag so hard it shows me 1 million+ ping :D

EDIT: No, my friend has ADSL. So he's better off in this situation.

Thanks for the reply, but I feared this answer :| Well, I guess I'm stuck with this for the time being. Nothing else is available in this area so I'm going to have to wait till a new provider is available here.

Note: When I use the /ping command in Aion when I lag so hard it shows me 1 million+ ping :D

EDIT: No, my friend has ADSL. So he's better off in this situation.
That's what we call lag spikes. Further proves my point above.

Trust me when I say, I feel your pain. I was having that issue last night on BF4. Except for me it would jump from 12 to 300+ on a Dallas server (less than 20 miles from ISP backbone). I too have the same issue of, this is my only service.

I feel you man ,, i was once a game master and a player on Aion Sea before , and it always happen when there was a lot players joining the server , but on your case it seems that this is a problem with in your ISP , it may be also a problem with your pc ?? Aion 4.0 is too big , you mention that its been 2 years since you've played it so that means it require a better gaming unit nowadays!

Hey guys, I noticed another thing. I remember in the first 2 days when I installed Aion I didn't have that lag, and I played during the night once (around 3-4 AM) and I didn't lag. It's really weird ...

Ah, will try it then. Could calling my provider change anything? I mean is it just a setting on their servers that are messing with this or is it a physical problem?

Thanks again :)

IDK much about this, but port forwarding might help a little bit, where you prioritize game data on your internet.
I know this wont change anything ISP wise, but it might help with a few milliseconds, and when you lag spike the server will have your latest information.

I doubt this would change anything much, besides maybe a few milliseconds

Back
Top Bottom