Is water-cooled THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
I plan to start building a new graphics friendly PC for games and what not shortly. I have two PC's I've built up, on regular fan setups, but am thinking for this next system I'll go with water cooling to mess with it and see if I like it better.

Is water-cooling really that much of a difference in in-case temperatures? Does it really help in cooling the cpu and/or whatever else it can cool? I mean if it's not a huge difference from me just using several fans like I do in my current PC's, which have about 6-8 in each including dual PSU fans, then I figure I may as well stick to what I know.

Just want to hear from people with water-coolers, or who plan to get them, why exactly did you choose to go that route. I'm mostly worried about a leak somehow or something breaking and just obliterating my entire system soon thereafter. Do water-cooling companies warranty against this at all, or re-imburse for damaged PC components if their pumps fail etc.???

Thanks everyone!

It is obviously cooler looking. The cooling power is much more efficent than a heatsink and a fan. It would be quieter than putting a million fans in my case, and well, its cooler :confused:

That's another thing I was thinking of, super reduction in noise which would be awesome, plus it does look pretty badass =)

Ya espicially if you get uv reactive tubing, or water i dont know what does it, and get a uv cold cathode.

dude ur sig is too big, might wanna make it smaller before u get modded. use [SIZE=1 ] Insert text here [ /SIZE]"

without the space between 1 and ]. and [ and /

Hmm one thing though, get a special low tox anti-freeze coolant, the ones you put in cars....... that does a **** of a job transferring the heat from the cpu to the radiator/heatcore......

and the answer is yes, even if your w/c kit is one of the lower ends one it will still be better in many means from any other highest-end aircooling, heres afew:

A. the waterblock is tiny, compared to the space that a big typhoon would catch in ur case and its easier to install [and dont tell me that the tubes takes more space than a big typhoon cause they are flexible and you can arrange them ---the big typhoon is not so adjustable lol]

B. Noise!! Big diffrence between the most silent air cooling and water cooling.... you'll NOT hear the diffrenece, no wait yes you will but you wont hear any noise with watercooling =) [unless you bought a really really really lame pump for a nickel].

C. Power consumption, no need for a 5+ 120mm fans anymore just to move more air so that ur cpu will be cooler or the chipset or w/e.

D. Looks much better.. uv reactive or not you'll be way more respected in any community if you show you'r water -cooled rig than if you showed youre zalman cnps 9500 cooled rig ;) .

Theres more but you get my point :) .

-Jo.

Yoad said:
.and the answer is yes, even if your w/c kit is one of the lower ends one it will still be better in many means from any other highest-end aircooling, heres afew:

B. Noise!! Big diffrence between the most silent air cooling and water cooling.... you'll NOT hear the diffrenece, no wait yes you will but you wont hear any noise with watercooling =) [unless you bought a really really really lame pump for a nickel].

D. Looks much better.. uv reactive or not you'll be way more respected in any community if you show you'r water -cooled rig than if you showed youre zalman cnps 9500 cooled rig ;) .

Your first statement is wrong. A High end Air Cooling system is cooler then a really cheap watercooling....

Statement B: I Barley Hear my CNPS9500 at all, and its alwasy on full. As for the Sythe Ninja with out the 120 MM fan is dead silent, and oh yeah lets not forget the Tuniq Tower shall we? like the Sythe Ninja, its dead silent. :umm:

Statement D: Respected in a Community? Your kidding....We dont judge people on there systems. Take The Major for instance...151 In 3DMark 01? I cant fathom how bad that is. But does this mean we should treat him like a nothing? naaah Im gonna respect him becuase hes a knowledgeable guy and I like him.. I certainly wouldnt treat nubius different if he had air cooling? Would you?:rolleyes:

Yoad after this and the whole XS bashin thread, Iv lost alot of respect for you...its sad too becuase you seemed like a cool guy...

:sigh:

no no you got me all wrong... air cooling can be totaly silent but only on passive mode, and about none-passive ones like the cnps yeah its silent but not AS silent if you sleep with the pc in you'r room close ot your bed like i do, i hear every little move of the fans on the night >.<

And about D. respected as in water cooling is accepted as a cooler [in all the meanings] solution for cooling you'r pc ^^; Surley you will not dislike or disrespect a person using aircooling, i'd have to hate myself if that was true as I have 5 pcs that are air cooled down stairs lol... and im not ashamed of it XD But if I told you I got 5 water cooled pcs downstairs you'd be "Woah" lol, see my point? You wouldn't like me better or dislike me though if that was any true.

and btw my 3d mark 03 score is 667 lol so im not one ofthe high-scorers either :D

I don't care if you hate me though or not lol.

-Jo

Some good advice there, on not spreading out the usage of the power supply unit with tons of fans, as well as space in the case and giving it a cleaner look as well, also good points.

I think my next case is going to be an open-aired wall unit with water cooling + plexiglass backboning. Should be pretty cool if I do it right :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom