Is VPN really secure for public wifi coffee shops? What is the most secure way?

starblazer4

Beta member
I would like to start focusing my work at the coffee shop now since I can't focus much at home anymore. I don't know much about security and have never used a public wifi before after hearing many stories about it being completely insecure. The work I'm doing is very important and I cannot have any problems with weak security. Is VPN as secure as a home network?

After digging from google, all I have to do is subscribe to a VPN provider, connect to the public wifi, then connect to the VPN server? Is that it?

I also found out that 4G mobile connection isn't too secure as well so I'm unsure what approach I should go.

Which would be more secure?

1. Connect to VPN through public free wifi
or
2. Connect to VPN through 4G mobile internet usb stick
or
3. Or use no internet at all? My work does not require much internet connection, however it would help a lot if i did have the connection.

However, I do have a really dumb question. If I don't connect to any networks on my laptop at a free public wifi there is no way someone can hack into my laptop right? Nobody can somehow hijack and go into my laptop if i'm within the free wifi radius?

Also what are all the security softwares I need? I have malwarebytes premium active shield and avast free but thinking of upgrading to the premium

Only if the VPN also encrypts your traffic.

As for which would be more secure..obviously 3 would be the most secure. Don't connect to the internet and disable your wifi adapter and bluetooth adapter (if you have one).

IMO 2 would be the next best option since it's still your own hotspot; but they could still try and sift through traffic through 4G network (if it's possible for them to do). Most likely would be very difficult however, since the network is transmitting data to/from the cell tower(s) via a wide spectrum - I haven't really looked into traffic monitoring over cell networks though, so I'm just guessing on that.

Obviously the public wifi would be the least secure, especially if you use a VPN that doesn't encrypt your traffic.

As for security software... using your own common sense is going to be the best thing. You could look into a software firewall such as Comodo or ZoneAlarm (but IMO they can be annoying and intrusive). Built-in Windows firewall is decent enough.

A VPN on unsecured public wifi (or any public wifi) will absolutely not help. Anybody can phish data from you via the wireless connection/network you're on.

4G would be way more secured than using any public internet connection. I personally don't know of any way to phish data from your phones data via cell service. If it's that critical, just disable wifi and bluetooth on both your phone AND laptop and tether via USB for a direct to 4G connection. This would be your most secure but be cautious of data usage on your cell plan.

It's better to use a VPN on public WiFi than not, but it's still not a very secure situation.

It's much more secure to use the 4G connection since the equipment costs for snooping 4G are much much greater than WiFi.

Last edited:
It's better to use a VPN on public WiFi than not, but it's still not a very secure situation.

It's much more secure to use the 4G connection since the equipment costs for snooping 4G are much much greater than WiFi.
Maybe if you're trying to keep information secure from outside sources. A VPN doesn't make an open network secure on the local side at all. When I go to Starbucks or a hotel I can see every PC and pretty much get whatever I want. Lucky for them I'm not an *******.

Back
Top Bottom