Is This Too Hot?

b182tm

In Runtime
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering what a safe temp. is for a Intel P4 540J 3.0 GHz Processor. On the ASUS tmp. reader thing, it keeps saying it is overheating by a couple degrees. I have an ASUS P5GD1. What is a temp. that is just too hot and unsafe for the CPU?
Thanks a ton,
Derek

The safe temperature range for a 540 P4 CPU is around 50-65C full load. Above 65C, the silicon on the P4 begins to lose the ability to use continous charge sequences which creates errors and thus, LAG. The critical point on the 5xx series P4 is very high however, a whopping 92C. That is the point at which the silicon bonds begin to break apart and the transistors are permanently damaged.

So I just went up and checked my temp, and just idling it is at 55 degrees celcius. I got it up to about 76 degrees celcius while just playing a game...What could the problem be? I used the stock fan, and the thermal compound that came on the heatsink. I had to take the fan/hs off a few times, so could the thermal paste have gotten kinda messed up? How can I fix it?
Thanks a lot,
Derek

Anytime you remove the heatsink you should clean the area thoroughly and put new paste on.

I appreciate everyon's help. Per, I had no idea you had to redo it every time...That's prob. my problem. And DarkBlade, I might just have to get me one of those, especially if I plan on OC'ing any time soon. It got good reviews, and if you reccomend it, I'm sold.
Thanks a bunch everyone,
Derek

Back
Top Bottom