Is this site legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
First off let me say this is not spam or anything, I'm not promoting the website, I just want to know if it is legit.

http://www.modchip.ca/store/home.php

It looks pretty legitimate but does anyone have experience with it? I want to buy swap magic and a magic switch from them, but I don't want to get ripped off or anything.

well in most cases modchips are illegal so this could be legit, they could be pulling your leg or it might be the FBI setting a trap for hackers. unless somebody you know tells you that they are ok i would stay away from them.

In most cases modchips are illegal so this could be legit?

That line doesnt make much sense.

Technicly it's not illegal to get a modchip since if you wanted to play backup games you'd need one. The FBI setting up a trap for hackers, sounds like a bit of a conspiracy theory to me since it's NOT illegal to buy any hardware modification items. If they were selling crack, then maybe.

Why are modchips illegal? Are we not allowed to make and sell what we want anymore? How are modchips bad?

The site is legit because I know friends who have refer me to this site before. There is nothing legal about buying this but the only thing illegal is copying games that don't belong to you and using this device to play it.

You can make 1 backup of your game as long as you don't distribute it. But in order to play the backup game you need the modchip. I don't know about the whole part of putting a modchip in your console is legal but I do know it void the warranty.

When addressing the legality of copying any electronic form of intellectual property, there is always debate. Whether talking about music, movies or games, manufactures fight to protect their copyrights, individuals fight to protect their investments and the reality of illegal piracy makes finding a mutually beneficial solution nearly impossible.

Typically, the public looks to the Fair Use Act and the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 to define their rights. Though open to interpretation, in a nutshell, these Acts say that you may legally make a copy for personal backup purposes, if you were the one who bought (and still own) the original.

This backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic game, not for the purpose of acquiring financial gain.

The Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 also states that copyright holders can't sue the average user for making home copies of their music. But the studios' lawyers say that the recording companies are not required to make available the technology to make backup copies. This means that manufacturers of electronic media will try to make their products as challenging as possible to copy.

Information about the legality of the mod chip http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modchip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom