Is this possible? nvidia and ati card on one comp?

so no one is going to mention the Hydra technology?
click me
if you want to do that
then here is the mobo for you
i believe that its an 1156 socket with sata 3 and USB 3
in their test set-up they used the i7 -870
i think thats an 1156 socket CPU
right guys?

click me
if you want to do that
right guys?

so i would have to buy a new mother board, new processor, and another video card. just for physx. i think ill pass

Even though it is older, that BFG PhysX card will work perfectly fine for PhysX rendering. There are no need for "hacked" drivers in Windows 7. Instead, you'll only need to download a second party patch. The patch was created after Nvidia decided to disable PhysX when there was an ATI GPU detected. This patch overrides the Nvidia code. You can get the patch here: Nvidia disables PhysX when ATI card is present

Even though it is older, that BFG PhysX card will work perfectly fine for PhysX rendering. There are no need for "hacked" drivers in Windows 7. Instead, you'll only need to download a second party patch. The patch was created after Nvidia decided to disable PhysX when there was an ATI GPU detected. This patch overrides the Nvidia code. You can get the patch here: Nvidia disables PhysX when ATI card is present

thanks. thats what i was hoping for, i figured the 5970 is more than powerful enough to run any game i want, i just needed a physx chip to work in conjunction with it. in other words the 5970 does the main graphics rendering while the physx card just does physx nothing else.

its only 45 bucks for the physx card. i might try it out

click me
if you want to do that
right guys?

I read a Custom PC review on the Hydra technology. And well, the impression I got from that is that it's a waste of time with so many bugs and problems. I think having a seperate card dedicated to PhysX alone is a better idea.

Btw, I could be wrong here, but doesn't DirectX 11 have API's for using a DX11 capable Graphics card to be used as a General Purpose Processing unit (GPGPU?). The main intentions of this, if memory serves, was to brake Nvida's dominance in the GPGPU market (a more openly available alterntive to CUDA) and also to serve as a platfrom for cross compatibilty to GPU accelerated physics (as opposed to Nvidias Phyx). Surely then, games in the future will be using DX11 based accelerated physics over Nvidia's PhysX. This makes even more sense for game developers once Nvidia inevitably starts rolling out DX11 hardware - why code for two different API's when both GPU's supports a common standard?

Again, I'm starting to get a but rusty on this stuff, so I correct me if I'm wrong.

CW.

I have no idea what you re referring to, but ATI's cards now incorporate OpenCL, which should definitely give them an edge over CUDA when it gets better implemented in software.

the fact that it has bugs is true
but if you dont support the beta then there wont be a next gen.
you could possibly run a 5870 w a GTX480 as a PPU (physX card)
but thats something that is what he was asking for
and the hydra should get better as time goes on
they could really be onto something with that piece of tech

Lucid Hydra only works with cards that use the same driver in its current state. This means that the cards need to both be ATI or nVIDIA, and they need to be similar. It's just not worth it right now.

Back
Top Bottom