Is this possible? 970 + 144hz, 144hz and 60hz monitor?

frldyz

In Runtime
Im still very new to computers. And learning more and more each day. The more I ask ( silly question or not the more I learn )

This is my set-up:
i7 non-OC
MSI 970 GTX
z97x gaming MOBO
corsair 750w PSU
Samsung 850 pro 512 SSD
4tb Toshiba HDD
16gb ballistix RAM

Here's my question.
Is it ok to run 2 144hx monitors and a 60hz monitor on this single GPU?
Or do I need another 970 GPU?

*** I'm not much of a gamer, but when I get some free time I would certainly like to try ( *cough cough* We have a 2 yr old and 2 month old so we have minimal free time ).
1) "Why 3 monitors?" Why not? I have the deskspace and I have extra monitors ( I only have 1 x 144hz monitor @ this tie )
2) "What do I use my PC for?" Internet. Browsing. Surfing, videos etc... Nothing demanding. But @ some point in time I'd like to dabble into picture and home video editing etc... Plus I always have multiple tabs and windows open @ once so the more monitors the easier it is.
3) "Isnt this an overkill?" Yup.
4) "Why 144hz?" Have you seen these things? WOW!! I bought an acer 24" 144hz 2 months ago from newegg on sale. Watching videos is amazing.

So we know I have an overkill set-up for what I do. Yes this money could be put elsewhere etc... And I don't need any of this for what I do. I know that. But it's fun. I see it like this: Why does the guy down the road spend $40,000 and 6 years rebuilding a 1972 muscle car in his garage and invest $18,000 on shiny chrome performance parts when he doesn't drive it in the rain? Only put on 1,000 miles a year and never goes above 65mph when the car will do 160 mph? Because he can. And he has fun. This is how I see it.

Ok enough with that.
1) Can I run 2 144hz monitor on a single 970? a)will there be performance issues with 1 GPU?
2) Do I need a 2nd 970 GPU?

thanks everyone

No need for an extra card.

I am having a small issue with your point 4 about why you are doing it.
Have i seen a 144hz monitor? Yes. Nothing special about them when it comes to anything else than gaming. (And a few other exceptions that doesn't include you)
If the video isn't recorded with more than 60fps it doesn't matter. In fact an IPS monitor would be better for movie watching. It has more accurate color reproduction and just plane looks better.

The reason you think it looks amazing is simply because it's a better quality monitor than your old monitor. Not because it refreshes at 144hz.

Last edited:
I've been watching F1 on my 144hz monitor. It. definitely blows away my 60hz monitor.

So you are saying if I get another 144hz monitor I will be able to run both 144hz monitors and the 60hz monitor of this 1 970 gpu ok?

Monitor refresh rate just means how many frames or cycles it can display per second. 60Hz can show you 60 frames per second or 60 'cycles per second' (Hertz = cycles per second)

Unless your setup can push a steady 144FPS in your favorite games, it's unlikely that you'll notice much difference, other than a LOT more screen tearing as the framerates jump about.

As biker said, 99% of recorded content is 24-30 fps, and thus would display exactly the same on a 60Hz panel as on a 144Hz panel. Your positive experience with your 144Hz panel is probably more to do with it's colour clarity or pixel density, not the refresh rate. At best, SOME youtubers now upload vids in 60fps, but very few :)

whether or not you can run two 144Hz panels together depends on their resolutions. If they are all 1080p panels, then yes; no problem. The more pixels there are on the verticle axis, the tougher your GPU has to work to render and display images to you. You can mix and match whatever monitors you like, as long as:-

A) you have the video outputs to do it
B) you aren't trying to use NVsurround or AMD EyeFinity

If you wanted to run surround ideally you want to have three identical panels.

2 Cents:-

If you want the best possible viewing experience for watching content, and aren't too fussed about gaming; get a nice quality IPS display capable of 60-75Hz refresh rates. 75Hz is the sweet spot, IPS provides superior colour depth and clarity. Ideally, you'd want it to be 1440p as opposed to 1080p as well. 4k is still a bit of a gimmick at this time.

Last edited:
So you think this ---> Acer K272HULbmiidp Black 27" WQHD 6ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS DCR 100,000,000:1(1,000:1) Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

is better then this ---> AOC G2770PQU Black 27" 144hz 1ms(GTG) Professional Gaming Monitor 300 cd/m2 50,000,000:1, Height&Pivot adjustable, Built-in Speakers&USB Hub - Newegg.com

Monitor refresh rate just means how many frames or cycles it can display per second. 60Hz can show you 60 frames per second or 60 'cycles per second' (Hertz = cycles per second)

Unless your setup can push a steady 144FPS in your favorite games, it's unlikely that you'll notice much difference, other than a LOT more screen tearing as the framerates jump about.

As biker said, 99% of recorded content is 24-30 fps, and thus would display exactly the same on a 60Hz panel as on a 144Hz panel. Your positive experience with your 144Hz panel is probably more to do with it's colour clarity or pixel density, not the refresh rate. At best, SOME youtubers now upload vids in 60fps, but very few :)

whether or not you can run two 144Hz panels together depends on their resolutions. If they are all 1080p panels, then yes; no problem. The more pixels there are on the verticle axis, the tougher your GPU has to work to render and display images to you. You can mix and match whatever monitors you like, as long as:-

A) you have the video outputs to do it
B) you aren't trying to use NVsurround or AMD EyeFinity

If you wanted to run surround ideally you want to have three identical panels.

2 Cents:-

If you want the best possible viewing experience for watching content, and aren't too fussed about gaming; get a nice quality IPS display capable of 60-75Hz refresh rates. 75Hz is the sweet spot, IPS provides superior colour depth and clarity. Ideally, you'd want it to be 1440p as opposed to 1080p as well. 4k is still a bit of a gimmick at this time.

Darkeeker:

So only get 144hz if I am gaming? 144hz has minimal benefit for basic computer use such as watching home movies and youtube?
And you are saying there are very very few internet videos that support 144hz?

So only get 144hz if I am gaming? 144hz has minimal benefit for basic computer use such as watching home movies and youtube?

And you are saying there are very very few internet videos that support 144hz?

yeah, basically.

Actually not just very few. It's unlikely you are ever gonna come across one (at this point in time) if you aren't specifically searching for it. Youtube doesn't even support videos with more than 60 fps. If you upload a video with more than that, it's gonna be reduced to 60 in the encoding process. (when you upload it)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom