Is this normal?

NeciFiX

In Runtime
I have my new computer hooked up on my bed, everything looks okay, nothing has died and exploded [hopefully?] yet. However, after 30 seconds or so, the computer shuts down. I do not have it hooked up to a monitor, speakers, keyboard, etc. It only has the power plug hooked in the back. Nothing else. It doesn't have a hard drive installed yet. So it's just the tower w/ components, no hard drive, no monitor. Just one power cord. Is it normal for it to automatically shut down after 30 seconds?

Thanks!

NeciFiX

Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard

possibly. if the mainboard finds no bootable data it will just sit and spin the fans or shut down to save power. mine just sits they with its pretty orange lights.

another possibleible. the cpu is heating up and shutdown to protect itself. try putting a OS installed hdd in there...

???is it 30 secounds like everytime. right on ball everytime. then probably just shutting down cause of no boot data

possibly. if the mainboard finds no bootable data it will just sit and spin the fans or shut down to save power. mine just sits they with its pretty orange lights.

another possibleible. the cpu is heating up and shutdown to protect itself. try putting a OS installed hdd in there...

???is it 30 secounds like everytime. right on ball everytime. then probably just shutting down cause of no boot data

It seems like it's the exact same time every time I do it. So, yeah, I'd say it's about the same period of time each and every time, I estimate it to be 30 seconds, though, it could be less or more.

The fan is spinning.

That isn't normal. Barring some kind of error or hardware problem, the computer should stay on. You should at least hook up a speaker to see if it's giving you any error codes. Even a monitor would help.

I reckon the it's shutting down due to overheating or the CPU isn't correctly inserted.

Check the heat-sink and CPU are correctly seated and ensure your using thermal paste.

And ensure the CPU fan is connected otherwise the motherboard will shut down.

I'm almost certain that the heatsink/CPU is in right. The fan on the CPU runs. I'll hook up my monitor to it to see what is up, if anything. The CPU went in right. I use an E8400 Wolfdale processor. I have thermal paste, but, I didn't apply any since I thought it came with pre-applied thermal paste. Am I wrong?

Did it have anything at the bottom of the heatsink? Like a patch?
You have to remove a sticker most of the time, to show the paste as otherwise it'd dry up before you placed it on.
Because you didn't check to see if it even had any, I'm guessing the stickers still on.

I'd advise to remove the heatsink promptly, and check :)

I agree with Atomic,

Get a keyboard/monitor/and speaker on that thing to get error codes.
See if you get video
Check temps

Many LGA775 boards need a BIOS update to support wolfdales as well.

Alright, thanks. I hope I didn't accidentally wreck something! I'll check when I get home.

It turns out that I am getting a USB Overvoltage error or something of that effect. Basically, I need to put a jumper on the Northbridge/CPU overvoltage pins, but, I lost a few of the jumpers, so, I'll have to look around on my floor for them. Once I correct THAT error then my friend and I have worked out the bugs. I'm re-formatting my HDD to install Vista on it.

Back
Top Bottom