is this illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, guys. No download links. Nothing like that needs to come across the forums.

so if I got a 50" tv screen with a home theater, comfortable chair or couch I would have to pay the mpaa? What if its just me and a few friends? That is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of.

It is illegal to make backups of COPYRIGHTED DVD's...

TheEnd, I read the judges ruling against 321 Studios, the company that had a program called DVD X Copy. DVD X Copy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was a while ago, but what I remember from the ruling is that it is illegal to distribute a program that will break the encryption on the DVD.

The judge also said that it is NOT illegal for a person to make a backup of a DVD that they legally own, and have paid the copyright on. She said that constitued (?sp) fair use.

I don't remember if she said specifically that it was legal for a person in the US to own software that would break DVD encryption, though.

so if I got a 50" tv screen with a home theater, comfortable chair or couch I would have to pay the mpaa? What if its just me and a few friends? That is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of.

The MPAA defines a home theater as any home with a television larger than 29" with stereo sound and at least two comfortable chairs, couch, or futon. Anyone with a home theater would need to pay a $50 registration fee with the MPAA or face fines up to $500,000 per movie shown.

over 29" and you're busted, that also includes a futon, good thing i registered. NOT

My parents have a 53" tv but we don't use it for anything. Does that mean they could get busted?

How could the MPAA find out about that type of stuff?

if it doesnt do anything you cant get i trouble, and they cant find out or do anything unless your neighbor is mpaa and he snoops through your windows, in which case you should call the cops on him

My parents also have a lcd screen but i think its a 32" not sure. And a bose surround sound system with a sectional couch. Does that mean they could get busted? I don't want them to get busted. They watch movies all the time with just our family. Its not like where getting neighborhood kids or other people to come over and watch movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom