is this a psu problem?

Aianiel

Solid State Member
Awhile ago I bought a nVIDIA 7600gs graphics card, I put it into my computer and the fan usually spins when I start the computer. However, sometimes it doesn't spin and I have to take the card and put it back in again, then start the computer and it most likely will start spinning. My computer does not even notice there is a new graphics card in the machine.

I have already checked the BIOS several times, and it is set to recognize new cards in the pci express slot.

I have already added a gig of RAM to the existing 512, took out my 80 gig hard drive and put in aa 250 gb hard drive, and put in a dvd burner. Does it sound like I need a new psu to run the card?

Bah sorry, I bought a Dell computer, and this is the psu that came with the pc.

O its a dell that answers the question....................

You do realize there are many different models of dells and most likely different power supplys in some. If its older it may have something as little as a 250watt PSU. I don't know what newer dells have in them I think the XPS line comes with something around 500watts.

Can you pop off the side panel and look at the PSU. It should tell you right on the side how many watts it is.

I finally discovered the problem and i feel like such an idiot. I checked the psu power and it said it was 305w. It says in the video card manual, *REQUIRES 400W POWER SUPPLY* heh...yeah.

I'm going to buy a new power supply. Is this a good choice?

And, sorry for not being so clear before.

that PSU should fit your needs well.

also, be lucky that your motherboard held up to that. i shorted one out once trying to pull 350 watts through a 300 watt PSU.

hope you can get your PC to work!

Yeah, for your Dell computer that should be good. However, overall that is not a good PSU. The brand is iffy, and 500W is enough, but you could do much better.

When you build a new rig, you will want a much better quality PSU, but for the Dell that should be OK.

Back
Top Bottom